ignoring your family

crowl

I hate to see this but it seems that many parents now lack proper discipline themselves when it comes to ignoring the spouse or kids. Too many people are on computers, working too much or just otherwise too bothered to deal with their family. When did this start and how can we control it before it gets too out of hand?

Mel

I think you bring up a really good point. There can be too much of a good thing, so I think the key is to put limits on the time spent on "the box".

Phillie

I've seen it too and it bothers me to no end. I think life is just so busy that sometimes you lose your focus on what is the most important. Family and people are the most important things in my life and I make sure I make time for them!

strongenough

I don't think this is a new thing, though computers certainly help. I think plenty of now adults had parents who did the same. It's a shame for the children involved because they never are able to have a good relationship with their parents.

Anthony

This is certainly not a new phenomenon, but it is more prevalent now with Ipads, and cellphones, and laptops, and the ten million other "devices" that are supposed to keep you "connected". I swear somedays I don't think that a solar flare or EMP that blows the electrical grid would be a bad thing. People might actually have to ... gasp...talk to each other!

Wyss

Life does get busy but we are adults and need to act like it. I know some parents who think that its okay to go their separate ways. As soon as dinner is done everyone goes to their area to do whatever they want, family time is a thing of the past for them.

Strongarm

I have done this with just my wife. I would always do my own thing at night like some of the hobbies I enjoy. My wife and I made a change though and we do spend more time together now, especially with a baby on the way. I can still have hobbies, but it's nice to be close to the one who cares most about me as well.

bighelp

I think there is a difference between ignoring your family and having different hobbies. Some hobbies are to be shared and some need their own space.