Inflation

Christian

Inflation has been driving the prices of every thing up for months, yet the price of food and gas is not included in the inflation index. Do you think any of the politicians will actually admit that this is an issue for working class families?

Victor

Gas and food aren't included in the index? I thought they were! If not, the number is obviously way too low. We've really started feeling the squeeze from the price increases.

Michael

What's even worse than the inflation is the sizes of everything that keep getting smaller and smaller. Do you remember when candy bars were candy bars? Now even a roll of paper towels is 1/3 the size.

ryan

I don't think I've even heard a politician utter the word "inflation." That's beyond ridiculous because it's becoming a worse problem than unemployment. In fact, for most families, it's an even worse problem. Most people have jobs, but everyone is feeling the pain from the rising prices.

It's true that so many things are smaller such as bars of soap. That's the only reason why some products haven't risen as much in price. The companies compensate by giving us much less for the money, but the effect is the same.

Christian

Well, it depends on how they are calculating it whether or not food and gas prices are included. However, the cost of food and gas are considered so "volatile" they are not included in the numbers you hear most often in the news or spouted by politicians. Here is a pretty good explanation of how it works.

wilson

Do not get me started on the size of a roll of paper towel and what it should be. This has been driving me mad for years now, slow but sure. And if they are both too volatile for the list, then there should be a new list. We deserve to know where the prices of everything is going, not just some things.

ryan

I agree that we need a new list along with new politicians. The system is so bogus and I have to wonder how this "sample" of 14,500 families was selected. Considering there are over 300 million Americans, that doesn't seem even large enough of a sample to give accurate findings. All I can say is that these families must not shop at Walmart or any other discount store.

Michael

Maybe we fathers of America could ban together and just stop buying paper towels. My wife would die. We didn't have them in our grandmothers' time, so why not just start using dish cloths and dish towels again? I'm not joking. We could start a movement.

Christian

Our wives would probably kill us Michael. I have a 10 month old and a three year old, and the messes are constant. If my wife had to add several loads of towels to the many loads of laundry she already does she just might lose it!