It's not fair....

BigPapa

This has become my daughter's new favorite phrase and it is fast becoming my least favorite. Everything is "not fair". If she get's something taken away as a consequence to something she did "it's not fair" even though she knew the consequences ahead of time. If she doesn't get something that someone else did "it's not fair". If I hear it one more time I am going to scream.

FrankSinatra

Life isn't fair but children don't know that yet. They still have years before they become jaded and bitter like everyone else on Earth. Laugh now and enjoy it because pretty soon she will be a miserable, tax paying adult.

Niceness8000

It's her way of exercising authority that she thinks she has. I would probably do a little more to admonish her when she says that. Nothing harsh, but I might let her know that she doesn't know what is fair and what isn't. She certainly doesn't know better than you.

Don

My son hasn't started that yet, but my daughter went through that phase a few years ago. She still does it on occasion, but nothing like she use to.

ProForums777

Yea, my son usually just says whatever, to whatever he doesn't understand. I think my wife cheated on me with an Italian. I think I'm going to teach him how to say I don't know, it might take him out of trouble better.

footballtim

There were a few things my late father did that I thought was not fair. One of those things was that he kept me out of sports if my grades were not good enough. My problem was that if I made less than a C in ANY one subject, the punishment was in effect. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that most parents who punish their child for their grades either go by their GPA, or they let a D or F slide if the GPA is B which mine was.

So why do I forgive my father for that and some other things? Because I know that he loved me. I cannot imagine going through a childhood knowing that one of your parents does not love you as my wife had to do with her evil mother.

BigPapa

It's her way of exercising authority that she thinks she has. I would probably do a little more to admonish her when she says that. Nothing harsh, but I might let her know that she doesn't know what is fair and what isn't. She certainly doesn't know better than you.
I have been admonishing her trust me. I have sat her down and talked to her about it. I have put her in the corner. I have sent her to her room.

I certainly would laugh about it if the sentence "It's not fair" wasn't accompanied by foot stomping, screaming and hysterical crying thinking that was going to help her get her way. I will be glad when she grows out of this phase.

erin

Cherish this part. The language will certainly change when she's older-even if the sentiment doesn't. Just be glad she's not a breaker or a thrower.

JRDeep

My kid when through that phase. i tried not to laugh in his face. I mean, it's funny when you realize that life isn't about fairness. We've all gotta take our lumps. sometimes the punishment doesn't fit in our bias minds. It doesn't have to be fair to be effective.

ghanashyam

People want the whole world to tend to their needs, and nature has to be fair to everybody, so your daughter would keeping saying FAIR until she realizes it.

Armpit

Be patience and teach her word by word.. I think this will take sometime since your daughter is a bit stuborn. Maybe it's due to her friend's influence? Anyway... don't the anger control you since she's still a child. You may scold her in order to make her realize it.. but just don't go overboard and DON'T HIT HER... or else she'll think hitting is the only solution for problems.

themdno

Tell her to get used to it, because life is never fair. I know it is annoying now, because I'm sure that's her go to phrase. I bet if you told her that it bothers you, she would say 'But, that's not fair!'

But, it's a good lesson to teach her, as she grows up. Don't complain, life isn't fair.

mollew3

Laugh now while she's saying anything to you. After awhile she wont even really want to talk to you. She'll just go in her room and close the door and youll have to drag her out of her dungeon to get any kind of words out of her.