Joint bank accounts

Salazar

Do you have joint bank accounts with your wife? It seems like more and more people are getting away from doing that these days. I have a joint checking account with my wife, but I guess I'm lucky because she's really good with money.

matt456

A joint account is not a bad idea after all. We do not have an ATM but any of us can draw the money from the bank. It is a matter of trust but I know it does not work for everyone.

Paul40

We do and I also noticed that some of my friends don't. I can't figure it out really. All of our money goes in to 1 account and we use it for bills and whatever else we need.

Seven

It works out better for us to have separate accounts. We tried the 1 account route for awhile, and it just didn't work out. It's just one of those things.

McGregor

We have our own savings accounts since we haven't got married. Now we also have a joint savings account for emergency fund, so we won't withdraw money in the account unless we really need it.

Last edited:

Jeff

We have joint accounts but also each have separate savings accounts we just never bothered to close becuase they are in separate towns from us. My grandparents had separate accounts and I couldn't understand it either, becuase it is easier to pay bills and know what you have if you have it right in front of you.

Salazar

Jeff - That's my thinking. But at the same time I guess I'm not smart because my ex took me for the financial ride of my life and then I turned around and opened an account with my wife. That said, she really is better with money than I am. And she doesn't complain about my spending...she has a way of lightly reigning me in when it gets to be too much.

MilwaukeeJoe

We do have a joint account, but my wife handles the books. Things are much easier to keep track of now that online access posts everything so quickly.