Leaving Kids Alone

greatdad

A neighbor left her 6 and 10-year-olds alone while she was gone for 3 hours a few days ago. I'm wondering if that's not a little young to be leaving them alone. What do you think?

Daddy-O

Yes, it is. I don't think any child should be left at home alone until they're 13 or 14. A ten year old is very immature and could be talked into opening the door, perhaps for a predator or worse.

Richie

Daddy-O, what could be worse than a predator at the door? :confused:

Greatdad - I think that is a really bad thing for your neighbor to do, and likely illegal too! It puts you in a bad position too, will you have a word with her about it?

Millman

In our city a child has to be 12 years old before they can be left alone. What's even scarier is that the 10 year old was left to watch a 6 year old. So much could happen.

Mack

If it was me, if they live close by, I would offer to have them come over to my place. I would feel much better about that than knowing they were alone.

Manning

I still find it hard to believe how careless some parents are with their children. It's good that you were close-by and could have helped if something happened, but parents should know better than to leave kids of those ages alone. Even at 13 and 14, I would want the kids to have someone to call for back-up and help if they needed it.

CHenne

Wow, that is young! I know there are minimum age rules for every state. I think in NY it's when you think your kids are responsible enough. I would not leave my children alone at that age.

Pops

I would say that is too young. I live my daughters alone all the time, but they are both teenagers, so there is no problem with that. Kids at ages 6 & 10, definitely need to have someone with them.