Locks on the door.

Alexander

How old were your kids when you let them install a lock on the door? Mine was 15 and it was as much for his benefit as mine, since he started having girlfriends over and well I really didn't want any images.

Davidson

No locks in our house except on our bedroom, we usually knock on the kids door before entering, but in all honesty I don't want to let him get away with everything just because he can lock the door.

Last edited:

Papa Bear

I agree with Davidson. His guests should not be locked away in his bedroom. I don't want to have any "accident" to happen inside my house.

TJoel

I agree. I think it's not a good idea to let your kids install a lock on the door. When I lived with my parents, my bedroom didn't even has a door; it had a curtain instead.

stayathomepaul

My daughter is 9 and has a lock on her door. She has a key and we have a key. Her brother has special needs and he tends to tear her room apart and irritate her to no end. She is very mature for her age and we don't have a boy issue yet. So for now, letter her have her privacy is working.

Dickneardone

Having grown kids, I am pretty confident about my opinion on this one. I think it depends on the maturity of the kids and the house rules. For example, the kids were NEVER allowed to have a member of the opposite sex in their room. Like Paul, I also had keys to the locks. 9 is a bit early, but I get the special circumstances. One of my daughters got a lock at 12, another at 16. And my son got a lock when he was 15.

Independent

I haven't put locks on any of my kids rooms yet. I think I will when they are teenagers. I have no idea how I will handle them being teenagers.

Sportsfanatic

Some of your children are lucky. Locks weren't allowed in my home on the bedroom doors. In fact, I wasn't even allowed to close my door fully. It always had to be cracked. To this day I still can't understand the logic behind that, but I never asked my mother about it. I did have a lock on my door when I went to visit my father. He was way more loose and easy going.