Losing my job may be the best thing

Bear

Getting laid off may end up being one of the best things that has ever happened for me. I started chef school last week, and I am taking a full load so that is four classes for summer semester. All of the professors seem to be squeezing in 16 weeks worth of work into 8 but I am really enjoying it. Next semester we actually start cooking and I can't wait!

Michael

Good luck to you, Bear! My wife is in sort of the same situation. She lost her job with the phone company. They did give her a payout, and she has used it to go back to school. I'm proud of her, but I really am hoping she'll be able to land a job when she finishes.

Sinbian

Good for you! You never know where this may take you. Sometimes even the most stressful and at first glance no-way-out situations open other doors.

Ifamily

That's great Bear. You know that there is always a silver line behind every cloud. What you have to do is finding it, and you have found it. Congrats!

BigPapa

That is great news! I love to hear stories of people following their passion. I always heard that if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life. I firmly believe this. Good luck with your classes, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Bear

I am taking the degree program so I have to take soem college core classes. This semester I am taking sociology and psychology online, and they are busting my hump! After this semester though it is all cooking classes except for college algebra. I really wish someone had told me when I was younger I could do something cool like be a chef! Thanks for all the well wishes guys and I will keep you posted on how things are going.

Betterman

Congratulations on following a desire. Often times people say they want to do something and never go through with it. I'm glad to see you taking the opportunity.

Enrique

Wow, good job on following your dream of becoming a chef, Bear! I wish I could do the same. Cooking is also one of my passions and I wish, like you, I could "study" it formally :) Good luck and enjoy this new chapter in your life!

Andersson

I look back at certain times in my life when some jobs just did not work out and each time something better always came along. I am glad to see the same is happening for you too, good luck in school, study hard!

themdno

Congrats, that is really awesome. I was in a similar situation, I had to leave my old job, and I was forced to find a new source of income. So, that's when I looked into doing voice overs, and started my own business recording voice overs for people. If I hadn't lost my job, and been forced to find something new, I would have never found such a cool career.

That's what's cool, going from a job, to panic from losing it, then finding a career. It's a good feeling, so I'm happy for you!

June11th

I haven't been here in a while, and Bear one of the last threads I read was about you losing your job.
Good to hear you're makiong the best of it. And best of luck as a Chef. :D

Miller

Bear, I hope you're coming along well with your new career training. I used to teach math and took a huge jump when I decided to change jobs and careers. The end of it all is yet to be seen. Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed in teaching. At least there's a pension in it if I stay in my state.

Bear

Thanks guys! I am really enjoying school so far even though this semester has been rough. I only have three more weeks to go before I am done with the first semester though. :)

joeldgreat

That's nice. Most people think that losing a job seems to be the end of the world on their career. But you had proven them wrong. Its very nice to see experiences such as yours that losing your job is a blessing in disguise as you had found what your heart is truly looking for. Good luck to your new job.

Bear

Joel that is exactly how my wife and I consider it... a blessing in disguise. I hated my job and it wasn't going anywhere, but I never would have just stopped going without all of this happening. I am really enjoying what I am doing now! :)

ghanashyam

I am very thankful to my bank for creating the situation when I was forced to leave the job, now I am a seriously follower of spiritual activity and would spend some time with computer only to keep the mind on worldly affairs.

FrankSinatra

I wish I had the chance to go back to school when I lost my job. It just didn't work out, financially, but I have always wanted to be a mortician and I have a school in my area that has a program.

Now I work full-time so it will be tough but I want to figure out a way.

Bear

Now that would be an interesting job Frank! Have you looked into financial aid yet? I qualified for a Pell Grant and that is part of how I am able to just go to school full-time. Between that and unemployment it is almost what I was bringing home when I was working. I am so much happier now though. I absolutely hated that job.

roncar

Congratulations on finding your passion. I am in a similar situation. I've recently been layed off, and after a couple weeks of job searching and coming up empty, I decided to work as an independant sales rep and have already gotten 3 companies to rep for. I haven't been my own boss for many years, but I'm excited to get back in the game again.

daddyjay

Getting laid off may end up being one of the best things that has ever happened for me. I started chef school last week, and I am taking a full load so that is four classes for summer semester. All of the professors seem to be squeezing in 16 weeks worth of work into 8 but I am really enjoying it. Next semester we actually start cooking and I can't wait!
Sounds like you are doing a great job. Sometimes things do seem to happen for a reason. It is great that you were able to make something positive out of a situation that could have been negative.