Mom's Facebook pictures mean custody for dad

KSmith

I've heard of a couple of other instances in which Facebook posts were used against people in court cases. People need to be more careful about posting personal information that could be detrimental to them on Facebook. I don't post anything on Facebook more personal than breaking my arm a few months ago. What about you?

the saint

As any blog-learning lesson will teach you, don't post anything personal on the web, not even your address. Anything you post in the web becomes public and maybe used against you even by your employers.

Tron3000

You really do have to be careful about what you put on the web, and making yourself unsearchable on Facebook is a good tool against stuff like this (of course, only if the searcher isn't your "friend"). I teach at a university, and one of my colleagues got a friend request from a student. The student missed a test because he was sick, and his Facebook updates made it quite clear which kind of sick he was. It was actually quite funny. I also know that a lot of school administrators troll Facebook for photos of students breaking laws or school regulations. In fact, I can think of a fraternity or two with revoked charters as a result Facebook shenanigans.

On one hand, you have to know better than to post potentially embarrassing photos or messages online, but it seems a little over-zealous for schools to seek out the ridiculous just to dole out punishment. But I guess some schools and employers feel that they have reputations to uphold, and if they can find it, so can anyone else.