More than 5 kids?

Jacob

Do you know of any family that has more than 5 kids? Very rare sight these days but I guess there is nothing better than this. I don't know how anything in life can be more important than having a lot of kids.

Last edited:

Tobsey

I know one family: John and Kate plus eight, or now Kate plus eight. :) I know that's a show but in real life I don't remember knowing anyone with more than 5 or exactly 5 kids.

SoontoBe

Even the Mormon Church has stated that large families are no longer necessary. They leave it up to the couple and the Lord. I shudder every time I hear about that other family that has around 20 children. For me, it's akin to child abuse. They say they can handle it. I totally don't understand.

Mohidad

I have five siblings. I admire my parents for having and raising six (hard to handle) children and doing it very well. I can't imagine having more than five kids myself.

polamalu43

No way! I have 3 and for me and my wife - 3 is the perfect number of kids. I have a cousin who has 4 kids, that works for them. I can't imagine the cost when we have to put the 3 through college.

Paul1960

My mother and father each came from families of four children, and my daughter's husband comes from a family of four, but the only family I've ever known to surpass that was my wife's grandmother, who was one of seven children, and this was back in the late twenties.

wilson

In my lifetime and other than on TV or in the movies I have see three families. One when I was growing up and still in high school, two others when I was in CA working for a few years in my 20's. Otherwise nope, not a single other set.

Ronald

A co-worker of mine is from another country - Jamaica - and is one of either 28 or 38 children. However, all 28 or 38 children don't belong to his father and mother, they belong to his father, spread out among several different women. However, his mom and dad together still account for like 5 or 6 of those, so just counting full-siblings, he still has a fairly large family.

Sinbian

A co-worker of mine is from another country - Jamaica - and is one of either 28 or 38 children. However, all 28 or 38 children don't belong to his father and mother, they belong to his father, spread out among several different women. However, his mom and dad together still account for like 5 or 6 of those, so just counting full-siblings, he still has a fairly large family.
That is just amazing. I can't believe the number, this man doesn't waste time at all. :) Again it is nice but in my opinion, that's too many if you want to devote proper attention to each of them.

Timothy

That is just amazing. I can't believe the number, this man doesn't waste time at all. :) Again it is nice but in my opinion, that's too many if you want to devote proper attention to each of them.
I agree. When my wife and I were talking about how many children we wanted to have, she said something that made a lot of sense to me:

My wife: "I only want two kids."
Me: "Why?"
My wife: "Because I only have two hands."

So there ya go. And we left it at two. ;~)

Pucknut87

I have 3 from may first marriage, my wife has 2 from her first marriage. they range in age from 11 to 21, and we just learned that we're expecting in August. I'm trading the SUV in on a bus and painting it up like the Partridge Family's. ;)

joeldgreat

When I was still a bachelor, I dreamed of having more than six kids when I'm married. Most of my descendants really have more than 8 children before. They say having many children is like having great wealth. So, that idea goes to my mind until the time I had to raise a family of my own. But eventually, the idea changed and now cut the dream into half. That is, three is enough and four will be too much for us.

meowcow

Five kids does sound like a lot. But like anything, proper planning, a good structure, and a lot of determination can make this less of a burden and more rewarding. Having a lot of siblings is a great way to grow up because there are a lot more sources of support, knowledge and experience. So I say if you are wealthy enough and have enough time and resources, this is definitely a good choice.

collin

having a lot of kids is a great family value kind of thing, but I hink with present economic times it is hard for families to consider having more than one or two these days. hey, some people want a lot of children, some don't... but it would be nice if you all could AFFORD to do so if we wanted to, right?

Bear

I grew up with several friends that were one of five or six siblings, and I know several families that have 8 children a piece. We currently have two and are considering one more. If we had the money we would probably be one of those families with 8 kids!

Last edited:

Andersson

It seems like very few are around anymore with large families but I know our kids had a few friends in school. One girls family had 16 kids, and here I thought just a handful was a few too many!!

Lieutenant

I agree that large families seem to be going to the past. It seems that a lot of the bigger families are those that the mother wants to collect more welfare from the government. Back in the day though 11 plus kids was pretty normal to work on the farms and support the family.

Enrique

My grandmother - who is now 86 years old - comes from a large family. Her parents met after they lost their respective spouses. My grandma was the only product of that union and she gained twenty or so half-brothers and sisters from both sides :) Of course, this was a long time ago where family planning was not actively practiced. Right now, I don't know if a family this big could survive, given how expensive everything is.

Betterman

I used to want five kids. Now I have one kid and think I was crazy for wanting five! My grandmother and grandfather had seven kids. They seemed to survive alright. :)

BigPapa

We have 1 and we are not opposed to having a couple more but I don't think large families, unless you live on a farm, are necessary. In the current economic climate they might even be irresponsible. The problem is that a lot of people with extremely large families can't support them financially without help. Also you really can't give each of them the time and attention they deserve when you have a lot.