New dad and old dad

Phillie

I’m a new dad and a step dad to a 7 year old boy. The kid is great! I fell in love with him and his mom. I can’t wait to do all the father/son things with him like ball games, camping trips, fishing, etc. He is a boy scout and they have an event coming up in a couple of weeks. He has asked me to go with him and I can’t wait. His “dad” lives in another state, he really has not been that involved in his life. Ever since we got married and I started doing things with my son, his “dad” is calling more often. I am glad and all, but I don’t want him to come between us – you know to make my son feel guilty because he is asking me to do things. I’m not sure that his “dad” is trying to do this but I don’t want him to. How should I handle the situation?

Tony_The_Great

I don't think it will get to be a problem because the "dad" is another state. He will never be able to fulfill all his duties as a real dad do. If at any point it feels that he is trying to create a wedge, you just need to have a talk with the guy. Most important of all, you will need to make your son that you will be there for him no matter who or what tries to intervene.

Papa Bear

No matter what happens or what intervenes, the children can tell who sincerely loves them.
Just be honest and sincere in what you feel and show it. They will know.