No Custody Agreement

Len

I have heard so many horror stories about divorce and couples who won't have a custody agreement put into place. There is nothing that I would let stand in the way of me seeing my kids. Why do so many beat around the bush when it comes to setting up custody agreements?

CHenne

Maybe they think that they don't need one? The divorce was a friendly one and the mothers will never stop them from seeing their kids? I don't know why else they would not get one in place.

Blake

Even if you think you don't need one I think you should get one. You never know when something will happen to cause problems. A lot of people who do bad things are the kind of people you would never expect it from.

bighelp

They might think they do not need one but that is a silly mistake too many people make too. You need to have one, who knows what the future will hold? I think some people worry about the cost of court too (lawyers, trials, etc.).

Blake

They might think they do not need one but that is a silly mistake too many people make too. You need to have one, who knows what the future will hold? I think some people worry about the cost of court too (lawyers, trials, etc.).
I agree. I think many are also just lazy. They don't want to do the work and they don't realize that the other person could just disappear with their child. You never know what is going on in another person's head.

Kost

If a parent is not willing to fight for their child they are not a true parent. I could never do such a thing, I would fight until the day I died. No sense in this, too many kids are in homes that are not welcoming, too many "parents" not being real parents, its horrible.

Jakex3

People think that it won't happen to them but it can. If your ex decides to date a new man and there is no legal evidence you have been a father, what is to stop him from adopting your child? You need to make it legal, no matter what.

Fatherof2

I think that any couple who separates or divorces and has children needs a custody agreement filed with the court. So many people think that they don't need one, but it protects both parties and the children. You can always amend it later if need be.

Shaun

I can't believe anyone would not have one! Maybe I just know too many people who's marriages fell apart, and there were no amicable feelings left at all.

collin

answer

well, sometimes some more mature couples can actually work out suitable arrangements without the legal system being needed to bust into their private lives.

Let me tell you as a once divorced man with legal custody issues brought on by a mean-spirited ex... having the law involved can be both a blessing and a curse, so I don't blame anyone who can avoid the law from stepping in from doing so.

When two mature people can agree and stick to their agreements... to me that is far better a situation for all concerned, especially the children.

Wouldn't you want to teach your children to learn to be mature problem solvers instead of vindictive fighters?

The law can make things nasty and a mess, and while know sometimes (unfortunately) it can be a necessary evil to have the law step in... but at the end of the day, and after much personal experience with this very issue I think it best to avoid including getting the law involved into your lives when and if at all possible.

For me, I'm so glad those days are long over.

I now can live in peace, with no ex to worry about anymore, and my relationship with my son is normal and not stressed by having the legal system involved any more... a very good thing to avoid the law, again, if possible.