No Soliciting

Andersson

Does anyone here have a "No Soliciting" sign in their yard? I am really thinking about getting one. Yesterday we had a very nice foreign exchange student who came to visit and wanted to peddle international Bible books for kids in the area. This would be fine except I explained to her three (nice) times that we have no need for them.

BigPapa

I don't think that the no soliciting signs work anyway so I don't have one in my yard. We had a nice pair of Mormon missionaries knock on our door the other day. I very nicely explained that I had no interest in the religion but that it was nice to meet them and then I wished them good luck.

Don

No, but I have threatened to put up a "no trespassing" sign. We kept getting visits by the Jehovah Witnesses a few months ago. I was okay when the first ones came. I was pleasant when they returned about a week later. I was less pleasant the last time and just told them to tell the others that we weren't interested in them coming out again.

Hank

I just look out and see if it's someone I know. If it isn't, I don't answer the door. I simply ignore them and they will go away. I don't have a sign up, but I guess I should. Even with the sign though, I'm sure there are some who would knock anyway.

Victor Leigh

I don't have this kind of problem because I live in an apartment building with 24/7 security. So absolutely no strangers knock on the door of my apartment at all.

erin

I have one on my door. It usually works because people are afraid they'll be treated rudely if they knock anyways. Most people just have a job to do and don't want to bother people that don't want to be bothered.

FrankSinatra

This isn't the 1964 vacuum salesman going door to door. No soliciting doesn't mean anything and doesn't hold any ground...you aren't selling something when you are preaching, pushing Bibles, etc.

joeldgreat

No, but I have threatened to put up a "no trespassing" sign. We kept getting visits by the Jehovah Witnesses a few months ago. I was okay when the first ones came. I was pleasant when they returned about a week later. I was less pleasant the last time and just told them to tell the others that we weren't interested in them coming out again.

I think it would not matter to them either. Better to put a sign "Beware - Dogs Inside" signage and place another sentence below it like "come at your own risk". lol. I'm sure they will stay away from your house. Of course, you must also need to have a real dog for this matter.

ghanashyam

Door to door salesmen are prohibited in our apartment, after a door to door salesman decided to pick up the shoes and slippers lying out side the apartment to supplement his income.
I suggest you, you put a sign " we sell old things for new things"

tommymac

I think that if the worst thing you have to worry about during the course of your day is someone knocking on your door to peddle something, you're doing pretty good. Sure, it's annoying, but, in the grand scheme of things, the "No Soliciting" sign is yet another attempt to isolate ourselves from the world and new ideas.

Victor Leigh

I think that if the worst thing you have to worry about during the course of your day is someone knocking on your door to peddle something, you're doing pretty good. Sure, it's annoying, but, in the grand scheme of things, the "No Soliciting" sign is yet another attempt to isolate ourselves from the world and new ideas.
I can't quite agree with that. Discouraging unwanted visitors is a long way from isolating ourselves. Just because we don't like to have strangers knocking on our doors doesn't mean that we cannot go out and meet people whom we want to meet.

As for new ideas, there are lots of sources for new ideas and a door-to-door salesman is hardly a good source of new ideas.

Miller

I don't want to have to put a sign in my yard. I think that might be asking for trouble in some cases. I know how to decline an offer. What I wish is that the phone peddlers would break their telephones when they dialed my number.

Andersson

The no trespassing sign might do the trick but we need to do something. It seems like during this time of year more than any other time we are plagued with visitors, most never talk no for an answer. I hate shutting a door in someones face but they really leave us with no choice.

Victor

If I were trying to isolate myself, I wouldn't be talking to people on the computer so frequently. ;) I just really hate unannounced visitors, especially if they are trying to sell me something, and that includes religion.

tommymac

If I were trying to isolate myself, I wouldn't be talking to people on the computer so frequently. ;) I just really hate unannounced visitors, especially if they are trying to sell me something, and that includes religion.
So, don't answer the door then if you're not expecting someone. Problem solved, no sign needed.

Victor Leigh

So, don't answer the door then if you're not expecting someone. Problem solved, no sign needed.
You are assuming that a door can be knocked on just because it is there. A door is not exactly public property. Neither is the front doorstep public thoroughfare.

themdno

I don't see the point in a no-soliciting sign. I don't particularly like it when someone knocks on my door trying to convert me to their religion, but, I just tell them no. I'm fairly abrupt, and I'll close the door in their face. I'm not going to have a back and forth conversation to make them realize I'm not interested.

"Excuse me sir, are you interested in converting to my religion?"
"No, I'm not." Begins closing door...
"But, sir, have you read this pamph-" Door closes.

roncar

We had a no soliciting sign up and it barely kept everyone away. Then we'd get people saying that they weren't actually soliciting anything, when they were.

My wife fixed the problem. She found a sign that reads "Work from home. Do not disturb." That keeps everyone away. At first I didn't want her to put up that sign, but now I'm glad she did.

freedombiker

yes I have a sign in the yard with no soliciting. we also live in a gated community with no soliciting signs on the gate. It seems to help because we never have people on the door wholike to sell something. so it's working for me.