Not enough homework

Donald

I just saw a thread here about too much homework. I was complaining yesterday because our grandson never has homework. He says he does it all in school. Frankly, I think something is wrong when students come home from school day after day with little or no homework. The schools could at least assign books for these kids to be reading. School is their job. They need homework outside the classroom.

Clay

My son is in first grade, but he still has homework. He has twenty-five minutes of reading. Then he has spelling words, a few reading worksheets, and three mini stories to read. I do not think it is too much because repetition helps kids remember things.

encryptedbytes

I just saw a thread here about too much homework. I was complaining yesterday because our grandson never has homework. He says he does it all in school. Frankly, I think something is wrong when students come home from school day after day with little or no homework. The schools could at least assign books for these kids to be reading. School is their job. They need homework outside the classroom.
It's possible that our grandson is just being a good student and getting him homework done right away :) On the other hand, he could be ignoring it, which is not good.

Many schools have online access to their gradebooks. Talk with your grandson's parents and see if such access is possible and ask if you can have the login. My daughter's school has this and I check in several times a week to see if she's getting things done on time and what kind of grades she's getting on homework, quizzes, test, projects, and labs. Because I'm keeping an eye on this there are no surprises when report cards come, and if she's falling behind or having trouble I can know about it long before it takes her grades way down and help get her remotivated.

joeldgreat

If your grandson is telling the truth, then he must be a good student. If not, then maybe its time for you to step in. Homework is part of school life and school kids can never get rid of them. If a school teacher never gives homework to their students, that teacher surely is a lousy one. She needs to refresh the value of homework in molding the minds of our kids. You can start to act now by simply checking your grandson's school bag.

Lieutenant

When I was in school we had homework piled on us and I still managed to do it all at school. Why? Because I managed my time very well and I wanted to enjoy my time out of school. Maybe this is why your grandson doesn't have homework. Maybe you should ask him....

Victor Leigh

When I was in school, I didn't have much homework either. Mainly I finished doing them in school. See if that's the case with your grandson.

Sinbian

I agree. Homework is a good strategy for kids to develop responsibilities that they will need when they grow up. I think too much homework is better than no homework.

Bear

I agree. Homework is a good strategy for kids to develop responsibilities that they will need when they grow up. I think too much homework is better than no homework.
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. A child's job is to be a child. There will be plenty of time for them to be forced into the monotony of a job with lots of busy work when they are adults. If your grandson is completing all of the homework at school it probably means that he is bright and bored. Try checking into a program challenge class or something of that nature for next school year.

Bobby

I think it would depend upon the age of your grandson. I know our school system has guidelines set up based on age and grade. Sometimes kids do finish at school. But what we've always done is go by the guidelines. If they don't specifically have homework, they have to reread notes from that day or study for upcoming tests, or even just read. But they have to spend that time on school related things.

themdno

It just depends on how well his grades are. If he's doing really good, grades-wise, then it is probably just that the work is easy for him, and he finishes quickly.

Also, if you're really worried about it, maybe ask him to bring his homework home one day, and not do it in class. See what he has to do, and see how quickly he can get it done. That might open your eyes, as well.

flfsurveyor

Some schools are now not giving homework; ensuring instead that school work gets done in school. Older kids may have already done their homework in the library or at a friends home; in the case of projects or group work. If you are concerned that your kid or grand kid, in this case, won't be doing anything but watch TV or play video games, read a book with him. Or ask him to read to you. That should give you an idea on how good or bad he is in his studies. Finally, if his grades are B+ and up, why worry?

Waynefire

I home school and do not have this issue at all. However, I do have to agree you should have some form of homework. Never know maybe he is lying about not having any homework at all.

FrankSinatra

Lack of homework from school doesn't mean there isn't an opportunity to learn at home...he can always learn more and you can always take time to teach him something. Even if it isn't something intellectual, he can still learn new skills.

R. Paradon

Without stepping on your toes what does your grandchild's parents think about the homework. When my kids were in school I was concerned about what was going on in their academic life but with my grand kids I just enjoy them and let my son worry about school.