Not knowing your limits

spencer

My neighbor's daughter is getting used to her parents sharing details about other people, who are grown ups. The last conversation I heard was how her uncle is mean and loves to keep away from family.

I find this to be awkward because I grew up in a different setting. I never even knew who my parents' enemies were. To me, each of my uncles, aunties and family friends were good people.

I think it is important that we draw the lines and know what details we divulge to our kids.

Jarred

I grew up getting all the family details from my parents. It wasn't presented to me in the form of gossip. More like "we're going to tell you this because we want you to understand what is going on." I don't think it really did me any harm. It didn't effect the way I felt about my family or anything like that.

Jeff

My parents have just now started filling me in on what goes on in the family. I am 35 now! I will not share these types of details with my children because I see no need in them knowing. Let them believe all is well until they are old enough to understand and make thier own decisions.

Kyron

IF it is for their safety, I would tell the child not to go with "whomever" because they aren't good people and may hurt them or whatever. Other than that a child deserves to have a worry free childhood. I wish I had heard less about my family when I was a child

Tyler

I agree with Kyron that if it is safety than yes the child should know. If it is just gossip or things way in the past, just let it bee the past! My children never hear me discuss family in that manner, becuase I don't really care too much for gossip anyway.

Seven

I agree with the OP. Adult matters should be kept among adults. Stuff like that is only going to confuse the child because they can't really grasp adult situations yet.

MilwaukeeJoe

I learned pretty quickly that you should never say anything in front of a child that you wouldn't want them running and telling someone else, especially the person you were discussing.

Alex

I think it is wrong to tell children about our 'dirty laundry'. I didn't know my grandfather had a girlfriend on the side my entire life until about a year ago and I am 30 years old now.

syboken

I never really grew up in a home that would sugar coat things, but we still knew there was a time and place for everything. There are just certain things that kids do not need to hear and this I think is one of them.

benben

I agree, we are honest with the kids and we do tell them about people who really are "bad people". At the same time we do not worry them with unnecessary gossip or rumors that they do not need to know.