Parenting changes with each generation

jason

Administrator
Staff member
A video of a father shooting his daughter’s laptop computer went viral in the past few weeks. The father shot his daughter’s computer after seeing a post on his daughters Facebook page in which she trashed her parents. This story has wildly captured the news talk shows and created a media frenzy. Was the father justified in doing this?
I can understand the father’s ire. I probably would have taken a more sneaky method to get back at my daughter such as erasing her hard drive so she lost everything and taken a ram chip or two. I would have then left her with her laptop to get it fixed herself. Oh and sorry about all your personal files.
I have been known to be a little sneaky in my parenting days. I remember a sleepover one night that my boys were having. I happened to pull up the mattress to put on clean sheets and what did I find? I found a Playboy magazine.

more Parenting changes with each generation | The Albert Lea Tribune

Bear

Good article Jason! I do disagree with the author's assessment of the "Facebook dad" though. I think it was a tit for tat retaliation of the daughter's actions, and she had been warned for a similar stunt before. I imagine before he shot her laptop she didn't take him seriously, and I'll bet that she does now.

Babar

Eh...the problem with "compromising" by only deleting her files is that she probably doesn't even have anything that important stored on her computer, being 15 and all. I fully support his "tough love" approach because some kids/teens/people are so out of line, nothing short of doing that would have changed anything.

ryan

That girl needs to be banned from Facebook until she's old enough to pay for her own internet. I agree with Babar about the file deletion. Everything she cares about is probably already on Facebook anyway. I really think that the time kids spend on social media needs to be kept at a minimum. In the case of this man's daughter, it needs to be kept at zero.

Victor

I wouldn't have destroyed the laptop. It'd be mine and she wouldn't be able to use it or other computers in the house, at least for awhile.

LeonR

Taking a gun to solve any problem other than defending yourself when your life is on the line is just wrong, or of course, to feed yourself and family by shooting game. I thought this guy was kind of nuts.

Andersson

Taking a gun to solve any problem other than defending yourself when your life is on the line is just wrong, or of course, to feed yourself and family by shooting game. I thought this guy was kind of nuts.
I did too but only to a point. There are many things that could have been done in different manner. I can understand his frustration but he is just showing her (and the world) that anything can be solved with a gun.

msdstnctv

I admit I chuckled when I saw the dad shoot the laptop. I'm sorry, but if he only destroyed her laptop, she got off lucky. Did you hear her list of chores? My teenage daughter wished she could trade those minimal chores for the ones she currently has.

meowcow

I saw this, and I approve. To each his own, I say. Just as long as he doesn't aim that gun on his daughters or anyone else, I am fine with that. It may be a bit extreme, but we don't know their exact situation. Maybe their situation was extreme as well. It's hard to judge, but they will be judged since they have put it out on the internet. He seems like a good dad though, to be honest.