Parents of US teen sailor defend record attempt

jason

Administrator
Staff member
LOS ANGELES — The parents of a 16-year-old sailor stranded in the Indian Ocean defended their daughter's solo round the world record attempt Friday as the teenager awaited rescue from her stricken yacht.
Abby Sunderland became the center of an international rescue effort when her 40-foot sailboat "Wild Eyes" was dismasted by mountainous waves as the youngster attempted a treacherous winter crossing of the Indian Ocean.
Fears for the youngster's safety mounted after her parents lost contact with her shortly before two emergency beacons on the craft were activated on Thursday.
Australia scrambled a chartered passenger jet from Perth to scour seas some 3,700 kilometers (2,300 miles) away and finally spotted Sunderland before establishing radio contact with the sailor.
Sunderland, who was reported to be safe and in good spirits Friday, is now waiting to be plucked from the ocean by a French ship diverted to her location, which is expected to arrive sometime on Saturday.

more AFP: Parents of US teen sailor defend record attempt

BigJohn

I can't say I would ever let my child venture off alone in an activity this dangerous. I know the parents said tragedy can strike anytime, but as I parent I want to protect my child for as long as I can, and this just feels like putting them in harms way.

DaddyBob

I cannot think of letting my grown child do something like that. What more someone who is just 16? I do not care if that child has practically grown up near the water and is like someone who takes to water like fish do. She is still a child!

Sammie

I don't know. I've met some 35 year olds who are more immature than some of the 16 year olds I know. I think something like this needs to be taken on a case by case basis. Her brother sailed around the world solo at 17 and nobody flipped about that.

Theran

I did see that somewhere that her brother accomplished this when he was 17. Maybe there's some sibling rivalry there and that's why she wants to try again. I hope she is successful next time.