Pay off her car?

benben

My wife has always had her own car and paid for it. She is making a lot less now then she used to and can not afford the payment. She thinks that I should make the payment but I think if she can not afford it she should get rid of it. What do you think?

lamant

Does she pay for your stuff and help out when needed? I can understand living beyond your means, but it does not really sound like that right now. It sounds more like she fell on harder times and did not expect this.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've always felt marriage is a partnership. Give and take. Sometimes you have to give when you do not want to. But my wifes money and mine are combined. We each get a budget, and discuss buying expensive items.

benben

I decided to pay it. I think I was being too hard on her. Went over our budget and realized I am just as guilty of being frivolous at times. I thought about her trying to haul around the kids on the bus and I realized I did not want that.

stayathomepaul

I think you made the right choice. I am the stay at home dad now and I can not imagine taking care of the house and kids and having no car.

Paul40

Oh my! I was going to say are you crazy man... You have to pay for it. It's a partnership! Can you imagine having to cart her around all over the place because she does not have a car?

Jarred

I agree you did the right thing. When I first met my wife she was totally financially self sufficient. A few years and a baby later and there's no way her finances compare to what they were in the beginning. That's where the partnership thing comes in.

McGregor

I decided to pay it. I think I was being too hard on her. Went over our budget and realized I am just as guilty of being frivolous at times. I thought about her trying to haul around the kids on the bus and I realized I did not want that.
Yes, you made the right decision. It's your wife so why wouldn't you pay the car for her? I kinda think that a family is an entity instead of some combined entities.

MilwaukeeJoe

Seriously, my wife not having a car would just bring our house to a halt. She does so much more of the running around with the kids than I do. If it came down to it, I would have to give up my car first. Glad you chose to pick up the payments.

benben

I think I did not realize how much running she did. She has a cold this week and I can not believe it. I take the older ones to school, then have to take the baby to daycare. Then the older kids need picked up and the baby. Then there is grocery shopping to get done and then the older two need to get to their activities! And that is just the half of it.

stayathomepaul

Yeah, amazing isn't it. I am a stay at home dad now and I have discovered it is not just all the running around but trying to get so many different schedules to work together.

Salazar

I actually don't even own a vehicle. I bought my wife an SUV last year, but the only vehicle I have is my company truck. It feels like mine because I get to keep it even when I'm not at work, but if something ever happened with my job all we would have is her truck.