pets and kids

Andersson

I never had an issue with pets in the home as long as they were trained to not sleep on my pillow or are on the tables and counters. Does anyone have the no pets in the bedroom rule?

polamalu43

Nope, my pets are allowed in my bedroom. My cats sleep with me, just not on my pillow. My cats also like to lay on my daughters bed (by her window). Of course we don't allow them on the counters or tables.

dreyz

For us, we have a no-pet rule in the house.

It can't be helped. Literally the whole family is sensitive to animal fur, so cats and dogs are a not acceptable. We used to rear fishes, but that was years ago.

Dan

We only get pets that can be put in cages because I and my kids are allergic but that doesn't stop my wife from buying pets all the time. She grew up with a cat so it's been difficult for her not to be able to have one.

Babar

Yes, we also have this rule because we like to be as clean as we can be when we go to bed. Climbing into a bed full of hair and drool would kind of contradict that.

Waynefire

I do not care if any of the pets stay in my kids rooms. I just have to set the rules that the pets stay on the floor and are not to be played with when they are supposed to be sleeping.

Don

No, the pets are allowed in the bedroom. The dog loves my daughter and usually stays in her bedroom at night. Occasionally, I will find him sleeping on the foot of her bed, but usually he stays on his pillow on the floor next to the bed.

joeldgreat

No pets allowed in the house. That is I never let my kids to have pets right now. It seems that my youngest had develop an allergy for pets furs. So instead of furs, they simply contented with an aquarium.

JRDeep

I tell the kids that I have allergy problems, thus no animals are allowed in the house. This is a blatant lie, but they don't need to know this. I'm okay with them having pets...but I don't want dogs running threw the house, and wrecking everything.

flfsurveyor

No pets inside the house was my rule with my kids. But now my grand kids bring their toy dogs with them when they visit and I just don't have the heart (yet) to re-impose my old house rule.

I love pets though. I have 5 dogs and 2 cats. They're all free to roam my yards; two dogs in the front and 3 in the back yard. Of course, the cats go wherever they feel like, except inside the house. My house has an attached 'dirty kitchen' and that's where the cats sleep. The dogs have their individual houses.

Having and caring for pets is supposed to be good for kids. It develops a sense of responsibility.

Niceness8000

No, but my dog doesn't shed. That makes a huge difference. Also, my dog is pretty smart ( a poodle), it's small, and it doesn't drool. The only time we have trouble is during the summer in rare occasions when fleas get out of control. Otherwise my dog can go pretty much anywhere we can go. My son is still young, so my dog won't be around when my son is old enough to want a dog. At that time his choices of dogs will be restricted to poodles.

Foster

We have a no pet upstairs rule, this is for 2 reasons. The fish couldn't get up there and we've only had our dog a month and he is still being trained.

chea

We have 2 cats. One of them is kind of mean and has sharp claws, which worries me because I am expecting a son. But I allow them access to the whole house. I think by not allowing them access to certain areas of the house they might feel neglected and the cats are very important members of our family.

Miller

We try to keep pets outside and not let them into the house. We don't freak out if the animals come in for a few minutes, but overall, we don't like the smells or the pet hair that inevitably accompany these bundles of joy. We do have good facilities outside for the cat and the dog we have.

roncar

We have 3 cats and one dog. All the cats used to sleep in our bed at night. I didn't mind, but my wife hated it. As soon as we got our dog, the dog took over the bed at night. She's a small dog and sleeps like a baby at the foot of the bed all night long. Now my wife is happy; she only has to share the room with one animal, not three. Well, if you count me, 2 animals!