Playing console games with your son

Armpit

I find that i'm having a good conversation with my own son whenever we're playing racing games together. And that's really fun since i like playing games too. However i was getting scolded by my wife not to do it too much. Is there any other in the same condition like me?

FrankSinatra

Anytime you can bond with your kids then you need to go for it and make sure you wife is aware of that because she could be costing you precious time with your son. I love playing video games so if we can have a family game night and play Wii or something and just interact and be with each other then I am happy.

Foster

I disagree with Frank on this, it all depends on how old your son is. My 5 year old would not be able to concentrate on a conversation whilst playing on a game. I do not disagree that time with your son is important but you have to do it with the right stimulation.

Lorenzo

When I play video games with my ten-year old son, we actually couldn't converse properly :) We are into the game so much that there's really no place for anything but focusing on the game. We do have other bonding activities where we can share meaningful conversations, like when we go fishing or when I bring him to his favorite restaurant.

GC856723

As long as you're not like my step dad and throwing the controller every 5 seconds because things aren't going your way haha

Man, when I was growing up that was how we bonded. Sometimes 8 hour long Mario Kart sessions. It was an excellent bonding experience, and it really did bring us closer. He plays CoD with my little brother, who's 14 now, and we went through RE5 together which was pretty fun, too. I kinda miss doing that, tbh. Well, maybe one day I'll be playing games with my son myself. And not really care what his mother says lol

CuriousJ

It's funny you should bring this up. My dad and I used to love playing on the SNES we had. We used to play Madden for hours straight on that thing. I used to be way better at games then than I am now, and managed to always beat my dad.

From my own personal experience, I can say that it's actually a great way to bond with your kids. I remember looking forward to playing with my dad when he got back from work.

youngone

I bought a games console for my son but I make sure he doesn't play it for longer than an hour or two per day. The problem with those games is that they are addictive and playing for hours on end is not good. I do think it's a great way to bond and have some fun together.

footballtim

I think that a better idea would be to play the game without the involved conversations, and have the chats elsewhere. If the problem is that your son will not want to tear himself away from the games, then that is a problem in itself.

If playing games with him is the only way to get him to talk to you, then you need to find another way. Maybe the dinner table is a good place.

tommymac

I don't see a problem with it unless it distracts from other things. You don't want console games to be the only method of talking to your son.

Bearsfan

I don't see a problem with it unless it distracts from other things. You don't want console games to be the only method of talking to your son.
I'm thinking along similar lines. Maybe your wife just doesn't want video games to be the only thing you do with your son. It's easy for kids to get in the habit of just sitting in front of the television. It might be your wife just wants you to do different things together.

Don

It's funny you should bring this up. My dad and I used to love playing on the SNES we had. We used to play Madden for hours straight on that thing. I used to be way better at games then than I am now, and managed to always beat my dad.

From my own personal experience, I can say that it's actually a great way to bond with your kids. I remember looking forward to playing with my dad when he got back from work.
I remember my Dad bringing home one of those first video games that you played on television that was tennis and hockey. Very simple graphics, but we had some enjoyable moments playing it. Funny, I hadn't thought of that in a long time.