Pocket Knife Age?

Sinbian

What do you think would be appropriate age to give your son a pocket knife for his camping adventures? It is just a simple folding Swiss Army knife with tools.

Hedonologist

I think 5-6 should be reasonable. Maybe I'm too lax and living in the old days. Boys have coped for centuries with pocket knives and ended up fine. I know someone who gave their son one at 7, although he was very responsible. You should make a judgment based on what you know he is like.

You wouldn't want him end up trying to make his own with a pencil sharpener and piece of wood, they can be very dangerous and I know people who's sons have made them after being denied a pocket knife.

Andersson

How old is he right now? I remember getting my first one when I was about ten or so, before that I always used one with adult supervision.

BigDaddy

I gave my son his first at 5 but I didnt let him keep it in his room and only have it when an adult was present. He is now 9 and allowed to keep it in his room because he has proven he can follow the riles and be trusted to make good decisions with it.

Bear

I think 5 or 6 is appropriate with adult supervision, and maybe 9 or 10 without supervision. Did you know that in the "old days" boys were expected to have a pocket knife at school and they would whittle and carve figurines out of wood at recess? Far from what we have now where a plastic butter knife to cut a sandwich can get you expelled forever.

Don

I gave my son his first one when he was just about to turn 6. It has a dull blade and I doubt that it would cut through a piece of bread, but it was my father's and I was the same age when he gave it to me.

R. Paradon

I gave my son his first pocket knife when he was about eight or nine. I think that an earlier age is just looking for trouble. It depends mainly on the maturity of the child.

Lorenzo

My son had his first pocket knife at nine. I'm apprehensive about giving him something that could be used as a weapon, at an earlier age. At nine, he's old enough to know and remember when and where to use it for.

joeldgreat

I think kids under the age of 5 or 6 should not be given one without the supervision of an adult. My two boy (7 & 5) had never had their camping knife not until they'll reached 10 or 11 years.

Niceness8000

If your son has a good nature and temperament, then it's okay maybe around seven or so. If your son is too hyper or lacks self control, or exhibits other characteristics that indicate he is not ready for a pocket knife, I think you should be able to identify those shortcomings. If you know your child can handle the responsibility (regardless of his age), then I think it's okay. If you know he can't handle the responsibility but you give it to him anyway, then maybe you shouldn't have the knife either.

chea

I think 7 years old is a good age for that. I actually still have a scar on my index finger from an injury with my first pocket knife so make sure he knows to be careful when carving a spear. lol

ghanashyam

They do not need it. Here in India, camping events are organized by schools and they carry all the necessary things. The school authorities specifically prohibit carrying any sharp objects by students with them.