Potty training: How did you do it?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Our little one has days where she just will not use the toilet. Other days she is happy to use it. It makes my wife crazy. I figure it is natural. She does get a treat every time she uses the toilet. She seems to like it.

How did you go about doing it?

Daffy

Hershey kisses. We used Hershey kisses for everytime our kids went to the bathroom in the potty. It worked like a charm. The only thing was we gained a few pounds but hey, the kids got trained quickly and they still love hershey kisses.:)

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We do treats also. Marshmallows is a popular treat with our little one. She has just been funny like that though. Sometimes she will want to go on her own, and someones she will not go near it no matter what.

SilverVeil

This might sound weird. I raised and potty-trained 9 kids. Growing up comes in stages and at each stage some of their special babyness leaves and they're expected to do things on their own which means less you time. So, when she learned to walk you stopped carrying her. When she started taking a sippy cup you stopped holding her. If she goes to the bathroom by herself all the time, she'll loose you for that too. Find a substitute for her changing time and explain it can only happen when she goes to the bathroom by herself.

BigJohn

Our guy knew what he was supposed to do, but didn't want to be bothered alot of the times. We tried the special diapers, the ones that are supposed to be uncomfortable when they got wet...that didn't work.

What ended up working the best was praise and the right motivation. He wanted to go to preschool but he had to be out of diapers. Hearing that over and over finally got him going.

DaddyBob

When it was time for my kids to learn how to use the potty, we just used encouraging words and sat on a stool with them while they were seated on the potty.