Punishment Ideas

Endalia

We have tried several things for my boy. We have tried grounding, staying in his room and taking away possessions with no effect. He still remains a defiant little booger who will do what he wants no matter what. I don't want to resort to corporal punishment but I don't know what else to do. Any ideas guys? I'm desperate here!:(

CHenne

Tough one! Usually taking away things works for my kids. Are you punishing him every time he does wrong? How about rewarding him when he is good. Maybe that will make him stop being so bad so often?

Lorenzo

How old is your son? What makes him defiant? Is he an only child? Sometimes kids "rebel" simply because they need attention. Maybe you should try talking to him first before giving him any sort of punishment.

Victor

I agree that you need to try and figure out the root of misbehavior and address that. If it is a bid for attention, then giving him more attention in general but particularly when he is behaving well will help. I'm a big fan of "catching kids being good".

Endalia

My son is 5, almost 6 and he has a brother and a sister, both older. He is the youngest and I have a feeling part of the misbehavior is because he's been babied all of his life. His brother and sister are 13 and 11 so they are quite a bit older and we have all spoiled him rotten. He was extremely sick when he was a baby and we didn't think he was going to make it. Now however, all of the babying is leading to misbehavior. I think I will try the "rewarding good behavior" method and see how that does. Thanks for the ideas.

Dad Brad

I've noticed with some of the children in our respective families that the kids learn to manipulate their parents through the temper tantrums. They try things with their own parents they wouldn't dare try when one of the aunts or uncles are keeping them. Try evaluating your own responses and see what you "give in" to. Then stop giving in. Kids learn those subtle cues and know what they're doing.

BigPapa

I would say a talk is definitely in order even if you go the rewarding good behavior route. You need to get his take on why he misbehaves in order to help him correct the behavior and have "good" behavior. I know as the baby of a family myself, I felt that my parents were easy to manipulate to my will because they were busy with my older siblings.

Endalia

Well, he's an honery little cuss but we love him to pieces. We haven't had a meltdown for several days now and I am waiting for the first one. My wife and I will be discussing this and doing things a bit differently. Love him very much, but he's got to learn.

Gavin

If there's any one thing kids that age need.....it's attention. Reward the good behavior and ignore the bad and you should start to see results.