Reducing working hours

JakeJ

I have had an offer which means doing some of my work at home rather than in the office. It could be a great chance to change my lifestyle, but I'm a bit wary I'll end up getting nothing done with so many distractions!

Rob

I you make up your mind to do the work, you will do the work. People would kill to be able to do some of their work at home! I wouldn't pass up the chance.

Jonathan

Wow, I wouldn't think twice to take the offer. A home office can be set, distractions can be avoided. I know it is easier said than done, just....take it LOL.

Mohidad

It is the last thing I would want to pass up. Needless to say that there are tons of advantages of working at home over working in office. The main advantage is that you don't have to commute so you would save a lot of money on gas.

JakeJ

I feel bad for hesitating when so many people here would jump at the chance. I totally see the benefits, but I'm sure it's hard to be focused and disciplined when you are working from home.

bighelp

It takes a great amount of strict discipline to pull it off, I will not lie either its hard mainly at the start of the transition. You get very used to being at home, being comfy and even working in your PJ's. Just remember that work is work and the bills will not get paid by the Bill fairy.

Keepworking

... I'm sure it's hard to be focused and disciplined when you are working from home.
It is, like Bighelp said. But now millions of people are working at home either full time or part time, and many of them have no issue with that. So, it must be doable.

WagnerB

Have you tried to talk to your wife and found out what she thought? Find out how much she could help with keeping you from distractions when you are working at home.

Mikey

What my sister did was wake up at 5am and get a few hours of work done before everyone got up. If you're worried about your kids being the main distraction then that would be the perfect plan for you too.

bighelp

The other issue to think about is commute time, what are you spending on gas right now to commute back and forth from the price of gas to the time it takes you sitting in traffic. For me its not that bad but during rush out (all afternoons) it would be horrible to travel into the office.