Role Models

ryan

I'm basically a second parent to my niece. It worries me sometimes when she talks about these celebrities as if they are people she should emulate. I know that it's probably natural for young teenagers to go through this phase. Her mother feels like it's no big deal and just part of being a teenager. I hope she's right.

wilson

I am pretty sure all kids have done this at some point in time, who were your role models when you were younger? I can think back and still see some that were not the best. I think it happens with every era.

Victor

It's hard not to worry but I agree that it's normal. Teenagers are not known for the best judgement so it's not surprising they sometimes look up to people that they shouldn't.

Michael

My wife goes absolutely nuts about this. Our daughter loved Hannah Montana and then Miley Cyrus. Our daughter couldn't make the transition very well when Miley turned out-of-bounds, so she went to Taylor Swift. We're hoping Taylor won't go the way Miley did. Incidentally, we've been to several Swift concerts and not a single Cyrus one.

Bobby

I guess we all had our favorite celebrities when we were growing up. For me it was sports, especially football players. My wife had posters of actors on her wall. I think that it's a pretty normal thing to go through as kids shift their focus from their family to outside influences.

Lorenzo

I'm basically a second parent to my niece. It worries me sometimes when she talks about these celebrities as if they are people she should emulate. I know that it's probably natural for young teenagers to go through this phase. Her mother feels like it's no big deal and just part of being a teenager. I hope she's right.
Everyone's right, this is just a phase that any teenager goes through. I wouldn't be alarmed if I don't see obvious signs of negative influence on my child (from trying to emulate a celebrity's character, style, among others). We were teenagers once, we know for a fact that our teen would get over the "fanatic" stage :) What's important is we, as parents, should be constantly guiding and supporting our teen at this point in his/her life.

Michael

Come to think of it, I had that Farrah Fawcett poster, the one with her in the red bathing suit, on my wall and spent many a night drooling over it.