Same style as your parents?

Strongarm

Do you find yourself parenting the same way your parents were with you as a kid? Maybe you didn't consciously choose some of the same attributes, but thinking about it, are there things your parents did or said that you now do?

bighelp

Bits & pieces yes but not always, and its not always the big things that seem similar its the little stuff too. The other day I was talking and mid sentence I stopped to think to myself "that is so what my parents would have said", the conversation of course was nothing meaningful either.

Glenn

Not on my life. My mother was a raging you-know-what and I vowed a long time ago to break the cycle. My dad is a great guy, but he was way, way too indulgent of me. Basically, there was no balance. And neither of them ever saw eye to eye, which I think is very important. I am a whole new breed of parent when compared to my own parents.

Trev

That is what I was thinking as well Glenn. My parents are not the best parent but at least they raised me up well. I have seen some bad disciplining attributes that I wouldn't let my child see in me.

Alistair

In fact, I try to be somehow the opposite of my parents, who were quite terrible at parenting. I don't agree with being exigent with your children, so I try to be the most indulgent father I can be without spoiling them too much. I think my children are intelligent enough to be able to understand the notions of good and bad, so as to avoid most types of punishments.