Santa

Timothy

What are your thoughts on teaching your children about Santa? Since he's not real, technically it's lying, but is it justified, or no? Do you think teaching your children about Santa (only to tell them the truth later in life) creates trust issues?

polamalu43

No not at all (trust issues). I don't think it's lying at all. We taught our kids about Santa and they all know that Santa is a belief - helping others that are less fortunate. We play Santa as a family now.

meowcow

I am against any form of deception when it comes to kids. Remember, these are not literally children you're dealing with, rather young adults. If you treat them like adults early on, then they will be a lot more well adjusted people growing up, instead of remaining children even when they do grow up. Santa is still cool with the kids, but when they ask I would never say that he is real, I would simply explain it to him or her. It's not that they think Santa is real that what makes it fun for them, the idea itself is enough.

Victor

I'm a fan of Santa, so we talk about him. It's part of the magic of childhood as far as I'm concerned, and I never have had trust issues with my parents as a result. Most people I know don't, so I figure the odds are good my kids won't either.

encryptedbytes

I've been straight with my kids from the start about things like Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. They are legends and fairy tales, but there is also something wonderful in those ideas and, because of this, we like play along with the legends and pretend they are real.

We still celebrate Christmas, exchange gifts, put up stockings, and the kids get presents from Santa on Christmas morning, but it is understood that Santa is just a legend that we pretend is real because, well... it's fun!

I've also explained that some parents don't let their kids in on the secret so a lot of kids think Santa is a real thing and just because you know the truth doesn't mean you need to ruin it for your friends. If their family treats Santa as a real thing just keep your knowledge to yourself and let them enjoy their holiday. One day they will learn the truth like you have.

kreso93

I don't know what to say to this topic really, but my older kids "believed" in Santa, but when they got like 10-11 I told them the truth or they found out on themselves.

Bear

We have never told our kids about Santa, the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy. I personally feel like it is lying to your kids, and we talk about how important it is to tell the truth all the time.

Bobby

I think it's part of the magical world called childhood. They get so excited believing in Santa and the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. They learn soon enough that these figures aren't real. I can't really see any harm in it.

Lieutenant

I explained to my kids about the whole santa thing when they were young. Then as they got older I told them that he is not real like most people believe. Saint Nicolas is a real person so once they are older I explain who he was and his entire story. Seems to help transition from hey he is a fat guy that comes down your chimney to he is a fat guy that used to leave things on door steps.

encryptedbytes

I think it's part of the magical world called childhood. They get so excited believing in Santa and the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. They learn soon enough that these figures aren't real. I can't really see any harm in it.
Don't you think that when a child finds out that Santa Claus isn't a real thing they realize that their parents have basically been lying to them for years? I don't think this is a good thing and undermines your credibility with your child in other areas. In my opinion, my child should be able to trust that I am giving them the truth as bet I know it and shouldn't have doubts or reservations about my truthfulness. If you are not dependable and credible in your child's view, there is something wrong with your relationship and I see harm in that.

joeldgreat

Sooner or later they know that these people doesn't exist. But as long as they are still kids, its a good way to have a little fun with kids during Christmas. For me, I knew that my kids believe in Santa as we had told them, literary. But as soon as they had learned from school regarding fiction and non-fiction characters, they soon find out that its a lie and had proven that Santa was indeed us fooling them them about the gifts under the Christmas tree during Christmas Eve. lol