Saying no to overweight kids.

Zimmer

Our kids have never been overweight, I think it's due in large part to the fact that since they were kids I don't think they stayed still unless they necessarily had to. However we are seeing more and more obese children and I have to wonder how many of them are like that because their parents don't know how to say no.

Chrisitan

Not all overweight children are overweight because of excess. That's like saying all boys are macho or all girls are feminine. It just isn't so. There are as many reasons as there are stars in the sky. I was always overweight because I have kidney disease and have had since I was born. The medication and the frequent surgeries which necessitated a reduction in my activity level started me on a slippery slope which has never ended. I have been on prednisone frequently, which will mess with your metabolism and have been on blood pressure medication since I was a kid. Don't judge. It's not only cruel, it's coming from an uneducated stance. Not being mean here, just trying to give you another perspective on the problem.

olderthandirt

You're right, Chris, some are large for a medical reason, but let's face it - most are obese because they eat the wrong stuff and don't get enough exercise. I can't say that it's just because parents don't say no, though. Even the school lunches are often poor on nutrition and high on processed junk.

Victor

School lunches are usually horrible for you. It's just so easy to feed the kids convenience foods, which are full of junk, so I think that is why many kids are overweight. Also, parents are less likely to let kids out of their sight compared to when I was growing up, so kids tend to stay inside and do sedentary activities instead.

olderthandirt

That's a good point, Victor, about parents not wanting children out of their sight. I usually blame it on television, video games and computers, but that's likely a factor, too.

Zimmer

Not all overweight children are overweight because of excess. That's like saying all boys are macho or all girls are feminine. It just isn't so. There are as many reasons as there are stars in the sky. I was always overweight because I have kidney disease and have had since I was born. The medication and the frequent surgeries which necessitated a reduction in my activity level started me on a slippery slope which has never ended. I have been on prednisone frequently, which will mess with your metabolism and have been on blood pressure medication since I was a kid. Don't judge. It's not only cruel, it's coming from an uneducated stance. Not being mean here, just trying to give you another perspective on the problem.
I know some kids are overweight because of medical reasons, but the sudden rise in obesity rates is probably not due to this fact. I was referring to people who'd rather let their kids eat junk food and sit in front of the TV, than say no and try to find some better way of keeping them entertained.

Chrisitan

You are right, the medically obese are in the minority. It's just hard to see them that way and knowing that the majority are that way because of inactivity and diet. We have worked hard to show our kids the right way, but they do look at me and think it's not important because they love me. I have tried my best to keep myself at the lowest weight I can and it just kills me to see kids being led down the wrong path to obesity. It's so hard to break those habits.

BigPapa

It does drive me cray when I see parents filling their kids with junk. My daughter rarely gets that stuff. It is a treat and not the norm. She is also very active. I remember my mom tossing us outside in the morning after breakfast and we didn't come inside again until lunch and then again until dinner.

Andersson

We petitioned the schools years ago when our kids were still in the system because we noticed this too. Our kids also grew up realizing that their freedom was outside, that was their playtime. While they played games (and some videos too), it was never their main form of entertainment. Some parents do not say no because they can not say it to themselves let alone their children.

On The Mark

Some parents do not say no because they can not say it to themselves let alone their children.
And that's kind of the long and short of it right there. Parental wisdom if there ever was any. As parents we tend to give our children our habits, whether it's saying no, eating right.......whatever, we need to make sure we do what's right so they can as well.

Sinbian

The problem is that parents literally put their kids first concerning everything. Nowadays parents tolerate child's caprices to an unbelievable extent. Child should be disciplined not worshiped, its a child not a God! We could learn a thing or two about raising kids from our grandparents.