School Programs For Three Year Olds

Timothy

Our son turns three in just a couple of months and after that, he'll be old enough for a state-funded "head start" program that we have here locally. All of our family members are pushing us to enroll him, saying it'll give him a head start on learning what he wouldn't otherwise learn until kindergarten. I can't help but feel like it's nothing more than state funded daycare though, and my wife agrees. Plus, I don't really think he's mature enough for school yet.

Thoughts?

olderthandirt

It's not state-funded daycare at all. Two of my girls went to HeadStart programs and it was excellent for them. It's not like going to regular school. They learn things, but especially they learn to have more structure to their day and how to get along with other children. My girls loved going and I volunteered there, as well, since I was working from home.

John

It's great if you and your wife can teach your little ones as much as possible. The HeadStart program will get your child to interacting with other little ones. That's so important when it comes to developing all those sharing and friend-making skills that help prevent problems down the road. They learn as much from each other as they do from the adults. I would say even more so.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I put my kids in a Montessori school. My daughter started at about two and a half or three and my son at 18 months. My daughter is now five and in the "head start program". She is well socialized can read some words, knows some math and is doing very well.

My brother did the same thing and his daughter is reading two grades above the average.

Timothy

So, do all of you think that a three year-old is old enough to spend the day in school? Maybe he is and my wife and I are just uncomfortable about it since we're so used to having him at home all day with her.

Victor

I think it's a very personal decision and what is right will vary by family. You could always enroll your child and pull him if you don't think it's working out. If you really aren't comfortable with him in school at all yet, though, then keep him at home. It won't hurt him.

olderthandirt

So, do all of you think that a three year-old is old enough to spend the day in school? Maybe he is and my wife and I are just uncomfortable about it since we're so used to having him at home all day with her.
HeadStart isn't a full day program, or at least, it wasn't when my girls were involved. It only ran for about 3 hours or so, if I remember correctly. A full day would be to too much, but this is a good way to ease them up to that. HeadStart is around 3 hours, then kindergarten will run around 4-5, then full-time will be 6 or so. That gradual adjustment is easier on them.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I think it varies on child and parents. I've heard of some kids going into a daycare as early as a year. I liked the age of three the wife liked two. With our middle it was a little hard as I was working outside the home and my wife as on bed rest with our youngest. I would have liked a little later but he has been happy there.

Timothy

HeadStart isn't a full day program, or at least, it wasn't when my girls were involved. It only ran for about 3 hours or so, if I remember correctly. A full day would be to too much, but this is a good way to ease them up to that. HeadStart is around 3 hours, then kindergarten will run around 4-5, then full-time will be 6 or so. That gradual adjustment is easier on them.
I didn't realize that Head Start programs were only like a half a day; I thought they were full 8 hour days like public school. I could see our son doing something like this for 3 hours a day a lot easier than I could see him away from home for 8 hours a day.