Septic pumped

polamalu43

How often do you have to get your septic pumped (if you have one)? It seems like we are getting ours pumped every 5 years. I thought that was too short of a time period. Thoughts?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We just moved to a septic system. When I had it inspected I asked the guy. He said it depends on the size of the system and the size of the family. Typically when they build houses he said they base the size of the system off the number of bedrooms. So we are good as of right now. I think he said around 5 years to have it pumped.

Now I grew up on septic in NY. Granted I moved when I was 12 but only remember it being pumped twice.

Victor

Every five years doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but maybe we just had a smaller system when we were at that house. How big is your family?

Lorenzo

We have only been in our current residence for less than four years, so we haven't had our septic pumped yet. I remember in our old house, it was like fifteen years or so before the septic needed pumping. We had a fairly huge septic system in that house.

polamalu43

We have a fairly large holding tank and a leach field too. It just seems kind of quick! I remember at my folks house growing up we only had to have it done every 10 years.

Bear

I actually didn't know that you had to have this done so often. Next summer will be our fourth year in this house, and I know the previous owners wouldn't have taken care of anything like that. If you use products like RidX does it lengthen the amount of time between pumpings?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard iffy things on products like Ridx. A normal septic tank holds bacteria that will break down waste naturally. Ridx kills the bacteria, good and bad.

Every few months I flush some brown sugar and yeast down all the toilets at night before bed. This way the bacteria have something to feast on overnight and help control the waste naturally.

Endalia

That sounds about right. We've had a septic tank all of my life and it seems like I remember we've had it pumped every five years or so more or less. We have a leach field too but it's never been much past five years when we've had to have it pumped.