Sick babies

Bear

My poor babies have been fighting some kind of bug for going on ten days now! I hate it when they don't feel good. They keep running fevers, and every other day or so they have diarrhea and/or vomiting. We have cleaned the entire house from top to bottom and still can't shake it lose. My wife and I are mostly just exhausted, and I kind of feel like I have the flu but no vomiting or diarrhea *Knock on wood*.

Victor

That sounds terrible. I'm sorry and hope you all feel better quickly. Have you taken them to the pediatrician or are you going to see if it will just burn itself out soon?

Timothy

Bear - I'm so sorry they don't seem to be shaking the illness! What does their doctor have to say? Given the fact that they have been sick with diarrhea/vomiting for so long, that sounds like the Adenovirus. I hope they get better soon! I know how frustrating it is when your children are sick and there's little or nothing you can do to make it better!

HappyDad

It's such a helpless feeling when babies are sick. Have you taken them to see the doctor in hopes of finding out what's happening. Hope you and your wife can get some rest, too.

Bear

We had decided to take them in on Monday if they weren't doing better, but we have been fever free for 2 days thankfully. I am pretty sure it was the adenovirus...again Timothy. That was why we didn't take them in sooner because they had it a few months back and she said there was nothing to be done but keep them hydrated and try to keep the fever done. Every time we go to the Pediatrician we come out with something worse!

Timothy

Hopefully if their fevers are receding they are shaking the virus. I hate to hear that they seem to have caught the Adenovirus for a second time, but I hear it's highly contagious, so I guess that's not surprising. It's just such a shame though, because that is one SERIOUS virus!! I'm glad they are feeling better, though. Hope they stay that way!!

Enrique

I'm glad your kids are getting better, Bear. How did they catch the virus in the first place, again? And, isn't there any vaccination for this type of virus? If it's contagious, then as Timothy said, it's quite serious.

Andersson

I know a large family in our area who has the same issue going on, between him and his kids everyone has gotten it so far but the wife. Two of the four kids have gotten it twice too. Its rough but hang in there, it will get better.

Bear

According to our pediatrician a vaccine is in the works and it will be similar to the one given for rotavirus. More than likely they picked it up at the grocery store . My wife and I stay home with them so no daycare, and sadly we have yet to find a play group or anything so the only time they would be exposed is when we do the shopping. My wife practically scrubs the carts with antibacterial wipes before we put the kids in them. The pediatrician also said that it is likely the germs are still in the house! Here is an article about it. You can't kill the germs not even with bleach and lysol so she said re-infection is common especially for the one year old. Then of course he steals his sister's cup and toys go in the mouth and here we go again!

Timothy

Wow. I can't believe bleach won't kill it... I mean, bleach is supposed to kill everything!! Did the pediatrician give a time frame for when the vaccine would be available?

flfsurveyor

There are commercial disinfectants available. One is Lysol. Dilute in water and then scrub the kids' bedroom. If you can, scrub the whole house. Then have hand sanitize-rs or 40% to 70% rubbing alcohol handy. Vaccine preparation takes awhile so in the meantime, everyone just have to deal with the situation as best we can.

Jatelo2

Now that the kids are better, I think you should focus your resources on eliminating the cause of the sickness. I'm also happy to know that the doctor has given some hope of a vaccine being in the offing. Vaccines are the most suited for viral infections. I wish you and your family luck and health. Take care..

Bear

They have been much better lately *knock on wood*, although we did go through two full rounds of it. My kids will probably be too old for the vaccine by the time it is developed, but hopefully it will help keep other little ones from being so sick. :)

dreyz

Ouch, that sounds terrible. I do hope your baby gets well soon. What did the doctor say? Sometimes it could be an infection, not because your house is slightly dirty or contaminated. Or maybe it's an allergy, though I'm not so sure about allergy combined with fever/flu.

Mr. Rogers

And you know it doesn't have to have anything to do with a dirty house. If they went with you to Walmart and rode in the buggy they could have picked it up there. It could be airborne, etc. With multiple kids, they pass stuff back and forth. Don't worry.