Single fathers or single mothers?

MickL

I cannot imagine being a single father, that's way I really appreciate the ones who are. I know it's really hard, but how hard is it? Do you think it's "better" to be a single father or a single mother?

Theran

I don't think one is better or worse than the other. In both situations the parent has to do pretty much the same things to care for the child(ren). The only difference might be that women have a natural, built in maternal instinct and may have a little more patience, but I've known a few guys who had to step up to the plate and take custody of their kids and they did quite well.

Josephmorisson

My sister is a single mom. She's the only one supporting her 2 kids. I've witnessed her hardships especially in financial issues. I'm very proud of her because she's strong and really work hard for her kids. It's really tough to be a single mom or single dad.

SilverVeil

I think it's equally hard. The mother and father both bring their specialty to the table. And while either can perform without the other, that special something is going to be missing.

MickL

Well, I agree with you guys. The mother and father complement to each other, and none has better, more important or harder to do role than the other.

Samuel

I believe that there are a lot of advantages being single. Having said that, I believe that there are more advantages in being with someone else. I would not know what I would do being single - I guess it really depends on your personality.

spencer

True, it depends on your personality. I would not say any is better than the other but as has been mentioned, mothers have an in-built instinct.

It is best to have the kids raised by both parents but in the case that this is not the case, differences should not be let to spill over to the kids.