Sleeping in the Same Room

Victor

We moved our 15 month old in with our 3 year old. It went ok, although I hope they start sleeping a little better. Right now the baby is on a crib mattress on the floor while the 3 year old is in her bed. We think they'd be more comforted sleeping in the same bed, but my wife is afraid it wouldn't be safe for the baby. What are your thoughts?

Lorenzo

I have to agree with your wife, at this point, it's better that they sleep on separate beds (or mattress, in the case of your 15 month old). Kids can't stop moving at times, even when they're asleep. You wouldn't want your toddler squashing your one year old, unless of course the bed is huge, then this wouldn't be a problem. I say, just wait out a few months until they get used to each other sleeping in the same room.

Victor

Yes, we decided it's better safe than sorry, so they are remaining on separate mattresses for now. It's going pretty well most of the time; even when one wakes up crying, the other usually sleeps through it.

Justadad

Just wait until they are a little older and you will want them in separate rooms! My granddaughters are 4 and 7, have their own rooms at home and sleep fine, but have to share a room when they visit us. They spend all night chattering and giggling!

Victor

Well, if we have a third child, we have no choice but to keep a couple of the kids together in a room. Hopefully if they are sharing a room all the time, the chattering and giggling won't be all night.

Salazar

Out of curiosity, why were you considering having them share a bed? I think sharing a room is fine, and even helps some siblings develop a very close bond, but why not continue keeping them in separate beds?

Bearsfan

We've had our 2 girls share a room since they were old enough to be in regular beds, but they have their own beds. They get along fine, even at bed time. I'm sure when they get a bit older they are going to want their own space.