Smokers

Cruise

My brother in law is a heavy smoker and my sister really hates it. She has tried everything she could think of to make him stop smoking but nothing worked so far. Any suggestion for her?

Tony_The_Great

That is a very difficult situation. In my family there are no smokers. However, my best friend's dad is a heavy smoker, and he hasn't been able to quit after trying everything. I guess the first thing is to figure out why he doesn't want to quit. Right now you just said that she has tried to make him stop. A person with an addiction needs to want to get better.

Have they tried hypnosis? How about that medicine they advertise on the television? I would put a picture of the kids on the cigarettes.

GranddadHoward

Electronic cigarettes might work if he would use them. You can get them with different levels of nicotine and they aren't harmful like cigarettes are. In order to quit, he would have to want to, though. Nothing another person does is going to cause him to make that decision.

Tony_The_Great

I have never heard of the electronic cigarettes. I am going to have to research it. Maybe this could be the answer to my friend's dad. I wonder if they are affordable.

Blended

Locking him in the closet or basement for a months or so would probably do the trick. All kidding aside I don't think you can force someone to quit smoking if they don't want to.

Cruise

Thanks guys, I think you are right, he has to want quitting to be able to do so. I wonder if he wants it though, that's the main problem. Thanks for the idea of using e-cigar.

McGregor

I have never heard of the electronic cigarettes. I am going to have to research it. Maybe this could be the answer to my friend's dad. I wonder if they are affordable.
I have heard of e-cigarettes but I have never tried it myself (I don't smoke). So they still contain nicotine, right? What about the smoke? Does smoking e-cigar still make other people around you passive smokers?

Last edited:

bighelp

The juice contains the nicotine but it does not contain the "other stuff" that cigarettes have which is what makes it a better choice to use. The juices can have strong (or light) smells to them, but I have never had any issues myself and I am almost nearing my two year smoke free mark.

Kenny

E-cigarettes might be the answer, but your friend needs to remember that quitting is very hard so even if he wants to quit he might not be successful. There are documented cases of people being able to quit heroin and not cigarettes. It is THAT addictive.

McGregor

That's horrible Kenny. Having drugs is illegal so someone would make any effort to quit. Smoking is bad but it's legal. Do you think it's the reason why people are able to quit heroin more easily than they quit cigarettes?

youngdad

Smoking is bad but it's legal. Do you think it's the reason why people are able to quit heroin more easily than they quit cigarettes?
I'm going to jump in here and answer that. I don't think heroin being illegal and cigarettes being legal has anything to do with how difficult they are to quit. I think there is something in cigarettes, not necessarily the nicotine, that is even more addicting than heroin.

Cruise

It sounds like it makes sense YD, but what is something other than nicotine which makes you addicted to cigarettes more than you are addicted to heroin?

ChristopherT

How old are the kids? I remember when my little sister got old enough to learn about smoking in school she came home and begged my dad to quit. Did the trick.