Soccer camp

Miller

We wanted to send our six-year-old to soccer camp this year, but decided to wait until next year when his little friend can go with him. We figure they can start together and are helpful the friendship will last. I enjoyed sports and hope he'll find one or two he enjoys.

FrankSinatra

That sounds like a good plan. I love soccer and hopefully your kid can become the next Pele and take the U.S. to a World Cup title.

Foster

I think it's a fantastic idea. My children will be encouraged to take up team sports when they are old enough. It will not only give them good social skills it will teach them how to work as a team and also get the exercise their growing bodies need.

Not sure you want him to be Pele though, he'll not be helping the US to any World Cup since Pele was Brazilian.

Sinbian

I played soccer for a long time and really liked it as a kid. I can't wait my kids to get old enough to play it. Nice idea about the camp.

Don

Strangely, my son has never been interested in soccer, but my daughter is. She plays on the team at school. I told my wife it would be nice if there was a sports scholarship in her future, but I think the entire team is going to need some more practice. Last year, they lost every single game!

NoRisk

A great idea! He'll be a little older and have a friend to keep him company should he not take to the others. I'm sure he will though, soccer is great at helping kids make friends.

Miller

I don't mind if he's not the next Pele, or even the next ordinary player. As long as he has fun and is able to focus on something where he can advance his social skills, I'll be quite happy. I don't think anyone thinks Pele is an American. I took it as a figure of speech.

polamalu43

Sounds wonderful to me too. Hopefully he likes soccer. My kids all went to a sports camp when they were younger. 2 still do go! Sports are great for kids - they teach them how to be a team player.

tommymac

It's good to get the kids out to a place where they can get some regular, reliable athletic exercise. Also nice to teach them teamwork.

themdno

I think waiting a year is a good idea, it will be good for him to have a friend there with him. But also, it gives him a year for you to teach him some stuff at home.

I never got into to soccer when I was a kid, but it's a great thing for kids to get into, at any age.

footballtim

I never got into playing soccer. I am one of those people who has to use their hands while playing any sport. You can forget about being a goalie as well. No fun for me as you generally stand there or just move around 99% of the time.

However, I do not discourage kids from playing soccer or any sport. Playing sports is much better than roaming the streets and doing drugs.

chea

Soccer is a great sport because all it requires is a ball and some grass. It's a good idea, I think, to wait till his friend can join him. Especially at a young age because anything new can be intimidating for a child. This way, the two of them can support each other.

footballtim

I loved my late parents. But I wish that instead of sending me to church camps, that they would have sent me to sports camps which is what I would have wanted.

Instead, they just wanted me out of sports, in fact my father would keep me out of sports as a punishment for getting less than a C in any one subject in high school.

youngone

Soccer is the most popular sport for children in the US in terms of participation. I wonder if any of these little kids playing soccer will become world class soccer players and make the USA a real force in soccer in the future.