Something Different For Christmas Dinner

KSmith

Does anyone have anything unique with their Christmas dinner, other than the traditional turkey or ham and dressing, cranberry sauce, yams, rolls, etc? If so, let's share and maybe we can all have something new on our menus this year.

daddyJoe

We always have the same foods for Christmas dinner. I'd love to try something new this year. I sure hope someone has something they can share.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. I really want to do a Harvest Dinner for Thanksgiving one year though. Get some goose, duck, deer, maybe even rabbit. I've tried contacting Alton Brown, although I could find no direct contact method to him to see if he would be interested in doing a special like that.

WillyWonka

That sounds good Jason! I'd love to have some fried rabbit. I may have to go buy one and have some this weekend! Fried rabbit with gravy and biscuits, hash browns and eggs, Mmmmmmmmmmm! Sounds delicious!

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it would be good. Just something different. No offense, I love turkey, just ask the wife. But by the end of the year, I'm pretty turkey'd out. Good thing it is usually too cold to smoke some then.

SeaUrchin

Honestly after we've done the rounds of everyone's houses that day, we usually will come home and make a big beef stew and cornbread. That's usually our Christmas evening meal. I like turkey and ham and all too but I really get tired of it by the end of the festivities.

WillyWonka

You know, I've been thinking of having a big pinto bean dinner with all of the trimmings. Pinto beans with cornbread, fried potatoes, saurkraut and weiners and homemade pickle relish! MMMMM I may have to do that tomorrow. It's one of my favorite meals!

greatdad

Mmmmm...A pinto bean dinner sounds great!

We go to my parents' for Christmas. Years ago, mom decided to fix a big breakfast and a smaller lunch. It stuck. Now everyone meets for a breakfast of fried potatoes, homemade biscuits, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and all the breakfast foods. We still have the traditional turkey for lunch, but not the big meal like we used to. It's really great because the main festivities are over early, and the rest of the day we just sit around relaxing and visiting.

Manning

Having breakfast and then a small dinner sounds like a winner to me. I'd like to get the festivities done early and relax the rest of the day. I don't think my family would ever go for that, though.

PeterPater

We are still pretty traditional as we have a small child and I think it's important for her to have that memory from early childhood. Ask me again in a few years when she's grown a little and has ideas about being vegetarian, or is too busy with friends to be interested in dinner with the folks!