Spacing out during a conversation.

BensDad

I was in a conversation with a friend at work today and as he was talking I completely spaced out. I was looking right at him and saw his mouth going and was not taking in a single thing he said.

Do you ever do this? How do yoou handle it or recover from it?

Adam

I do this from time to time, and it is really really frustrating. I try to play it off as though I was listening the entire time, and hope that no one really notices. Sometimes I get caught though.

Millman

I'll do this alot when I'm trying to do something and hold a conversation at the same time. I'm getting better at making myself stop what I'm doing to talk or ask the other person to hang on to finish my current task.

SeaUrchin

If you are doing this regularly, you may want to have your doctor to check you over. This can be a sign of mild seizure activity or a warning sign of a migraine headache or a stroke. It can also be something as simple as Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Don't panic but do have it checked out.

AbsDad

In my case it's not seizure-I'm just tired. I do it a lot too-I'll see something out of the corner of my eye and it will lead to me thinking about something else. I guess I don't really zone.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The wife tells me I do this all the time. But then again, she tries to talk to me when I'm working so that may be why.

bighelp

The most times I end up doing this is when its lack of sleep or too much stress in my life. Right now I am trying to exercise more so I am a tad more tired than the norm come the proper time to go to sleep rather than being the nighthawk I have been for much of my adult life.

pokerdad

The wife tells me I do this all the time. But then again, she tries to talk to me when I'm working so that may be why.
My wife used to tell me I did this all the time (don't tell her that she's right). Now though, she doesn't even give me a chance to go to my happy place, she quizzes me during the conversation, "What did I just say?"

TwinPeaks

When wife wants to interrupt me during work (and my work requires a lot of concentration) she is bound to get my happy place face. :D