Spanking?

Travis

I don't spank my kids very often, but my wife does LOL, just kidding. There are times when you need to give you kids gentle spanks, just to let them know that they just did something wrong and that's not accepted.

Papa Bear

I did that once, but it hurt me more. After that, I just talk to my kids and give them advise, after I have cooled off.

Verny

My father was a disciplinarian and he spank us immediately after we made a mistake. I vowed to myself that I wouldn't inflict that kind of discipline on my kids because physical hurting is not the only way in disciplining children. I'm glad that I've never spanked my kids.

Leon

I don't know how of us here are Bible believers but it states in one of the verses that "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." (Proverbs 13.24)

For me, spanking is alright as long as they aren't beaten several times. One gentle hit will do as long as they feel the pain and will never do the same mistake again.

youngdad

My dad explained the "spare the rod" scripture to me better than anyone I've ever heard. Essentially, the rod is likened to a shepherd's rod, which is used to lead and guide, not just discipline. The "sparing" of the rod refers to leading and guiding in addition to disciplining. I think many people don't realize the entire scope of what that scripture means.

To answer the original question, yes, I believe in spanking.

SamMo

I'm an old guy and my father used a belt on me, but in those days people did. I didn't use such violent means on my children but I did give them the occasional smack when necessary and they still speak to me!

danno

I have never spanked my son, ever. I like to explain to him the reasons for everything I do and why some behaviour is unacceptable. Luckily he is sensible and listens to me and, so far, we are doing great without any violence!

greatdad

I believe there are times when spanking needs to be used, but I'm a firm believer in talking to kids and explaining the reasons for the rules and boundaries that you have. I think kids are much more likely to follow rules when they know that they're not just there because dad can put them there, which hopefully makes spanking something that doesn't happen often, if at all.

Johnny

I have trouble with this one. I feel the need to do it as a last resort sometimes, but I always end up feeling guilty that I did it. I'm not sure that hitting is the answer. I know saying "hitting" seems a bit dramatic, but that's how I feel when I do it, even though I don't do it very hard.

CHenne

I don't spank my kids ~ I used time outs when they were younger and now I take things away. I don't have a problem with people spanking their kids if they don't hurt their kids.

greatdad

I'm not sure that hitting is the answer. I know saying "hitting" seems a bit dramatic, but that's how I feel when I do it, even though I don't do it very hard.
I don't like to spank my kids, either, but I learned the hard way that when you spank, you have to do it hard enough that it hurts enough that they don't take it as a joke. I spanked my son once and then heard him tell his friend that his dad's spankings didn't hurt and he was laughing about it. He didn't have that attitude the next time he was spanked and it was still very far from being abusive.

Leon

My dad explained the "spare the rod" scripture to me better than anyone I've ever heard. Essentially, the rod is likened to a shepherd's rod, which is used to lead and guide, not just discipline. The "sparing" of the rod refers to leading and guiding in addition to disciplining. I think many people don't realize the entire scope of what that scripture means.
That is a good explaining of that scripture. We want our kids to go to the right path so if they are going astray then we should use the rod to guide them. If they don't follow still then a little beating of the rod (or belt for kids) will help them go back to the path we want them to take.

Aaron

I believe their is a huge difference between spanking and beating. I do agree with spanking your children when discipline is needed and nothing else works. I have one child that responds well to sitting in the corner, but the other one needs the pat on the butt once in a while.