Sports

Ravenfan

As a dad how much do you try to influence your child's interest in sports. Do you share your thoughts on your favorite sports or do you let him or her choose what to participate on their own.

Babar

I was never much of a sports guy myself, but even if I were, I wouldn't try to force a love of sports on my kids. I support any extracurricular interests they have; that's what's most important.

Ravenfan

Good Point

I think it is very important for your child to try a variety of different activities. My son tends to be very imaginative so as he gets older I can see him wanting to be involved in activities such as plays and maybe learn to play an instrument. The key is to encourage them I guess without making them feel pressured to please you as the parent.

Lorenzo

As a dad how much do you try to influence your child's interest in sports. Do you share your thoughts on your favorite sports or do you let him or her choose what to participate on their own.
I like watching all kinds of sports and thus, encourage my kids to try them. I don't force them on a specific sport, however. When my older son expressed an interest in basketball, we enrolled him in a basketball clinic. When he wanted to try swimming (which he excelled in), we also paid for a swimming lesson for him. All of my four older kids have tried some kind of sport - swimming, basketball, tae kwon do, football). The important thing for us, is the joy they get when they do these things.

polamalu43

Of course I told all my kids which sports I like. I took them to games when they were younger too. I play in a men's baseball league too. I would never choose the sports my kids were going to play. It's totally up to them.

Victor Leigh

My father used to play table tennis and badminton with me. Unfortunately I couldn't continue the tradition with my own children. The most I have done is do raids together with them in World of Warcraft.

JRDeep

I'm all about letting them try out different things. I'm not big on hockey, but if my son wants to do it, I'll go with him and support his efforts from learning how to skate, to checking someone elses kid into the boards.

The wife would rather him not get involved in a violent sport...So he'll have to be the one to convince her it's cool. I'll never win an argument against that woman. She's the undisputed champ 'round these parts.

Andersson

I never tried to overly influence anyone on anything, including my kids. Just the same as checking out a different church if they want to learn or try something new, I did the same when it came to sports. We went through a few sports before our kids found out what they liked but in the end their horizons were broadened and they had the chance to experience more than just one that was "forced" on them.

Kyp

I wouldn't say that I ever forced my kids decision to do sports or not. Back in the day, I enjoyed playing golf, baseball/softball, and a little football. My son plays baseball, basketball, and is getting into the sport of golf as well. I guess you could say that I somewhat influenced him.

dreyz

Online games are taking over healthy sports in my opinion. Since I'm away on weekdays for work, I only have the weekends to spend with them, and occasionally they would go out and play sports with their friends. Not so often, but at least they do.

BigPapa

I think it is important to encourage our children to be active but my daughter is not interested in the same sports as I am. She prefers dance, gymnastics and soccer while I am an avid football fan.

FrankSinatra

I don't try to influence the individual game but I watch a lot of sports and try to make sure I can grab attention in something that could be worth trying.

Dan

I'm from a Colts family and my wife is from a Steeler's family so I definitely do influence my children! I do not want them wearing black and gold during the season. :(

FrankSinatra

I'm from a Colts family and my wife is from a Steeler's family so I definitely do influence my children! I do not want them wearing black and gold during the season. :(
Oh you should have never married her, bro. I could have never married my wife if she was a Red Sox or Patriots fan...that would have been grounds for dismissal immediately.

flfsurveyor

I was into tennis, swimming, bowling and some wushu. I got my two sons tennis rackets when they were 8 and 10. I taught them the basics of the sport and we would play a few sets every week. But, they never got the hang of it. Besides tennis, we also went swimming a lot along with my daughters. Now, this is one sport they all enjoyed. My younger son is a taekwando jin and has won tournaments. My elder son plays basketball and has also taken up bowling. My younger daughter is into distance running. So, yes , i probably influenced by children's love for sports.