Staying at home boredom

JDan

I don't stay home these days, but there have been a few times when I've tried the work-at-home routine. I almost went stir crazy being in the house all the time. I'm dreading retirement for the same reason, although I do enjoy a day at home some. How do you combat the boredom?

Michael

I stay at home three days a week and work four, but I never stay at home. I don't get bored because I have so many hobbies. I don't think an inside job would be something I would like for very long. I have to get out of the house.

Victor

I am a stay at home dad. I do get bored sometimes, but I remind myself that I also used to get bored at work sometimes. I think it's important to try and get out of the house daily, although I'm not always good about it myself.

Bobby

My wife and I each work a half day so we are home part of the day and out at work part of the day. It seems to be the prefect combination for us.

Victor

That is a pretty nice arrangement, Bobby! I am a bit jealous; sometimes I think working part time would be good for me but I haven't found anything that would make it worth it financially.

Lorenzo

I have a work-at-home job so naturally, I have to stay at home most of the time. I have been at it for only a few months, and I could not agree with JDan more - it gets crazier by the minute! However, my kids are out most of the day in school, so there is time to concentrate on work and other activities that could not be done have the kids been home. I have five kids so you can just imagine how hard it is to keep up with everything. But, what my wife and I do is give them responsibilities and hold them accountable for their own behavior. It seems to work!

LeonR

I don't get bored much because I like to read, write, clean house, do yard work and sit in a deer stand when I have the time. I watch occasional television shows, too, and volunteer in my church.

Salazar

I haven't worked from home, but I think I would be fine with it as long as I had a full eight hour workday. My wife works from home and she always says, even though she is home all day, she feels like there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done.

LeonR

Salazar, it really is a different point of view when you're home all the time. Time goes faster, chores add up and stretch out to take longer and you are always feeling like you're behind. It isn't as easy as it sounds.

Clay

I use to be a stay at home dad, and I thought of many ways to combat boredom. When the kids were home, I would plan out activities. Things like crafts or small day trips. Mostly free things, because I hate spending money if there are free things to do. If I am by myself I surf the net, read, try to learn a new hobby, work on something around the house and clean a few things. You just have to tell yourself not to be idle. There is always something you could be doing.

ryan

Between working at home and all of our activities, I'm never even close to being bored. I guess I'm one of those people who always tries to stay busy, too. My problem is at the other end of the spectrum. I feel like there is never enough time to do everything that I need and want to do.

Timothy

I'm working right now while my wife is a full-time student, but we plan for me to stay at home once she graduates and starts working. I really think keeping a house up is a full-time job, especially when you take yard work, pets and children into account, so we're looking forward to the time when I can stay home and stay on top of things. I'm sure there will be times that I'll get bored with it, but there are times when I get bored with the job I have now, too. I'd just rather be bored at home in a clean home with the laundry & dishes washed, meals cooked, grass mowed and the pets/kids seen after than to be bored at work and then come home too tired to take care of things around the house.

meowcow

It really does get on your nerves after a while! :D I do most my work online, and it has gotten to me more than a couple of times, honestly. I think, like any job, it is mostly about what is suited for your personality and how fast or how well you can get used to it. I myself am an outgoing person, but because of my job am forced to stay at home and work alone almost daily. The solution I've found is to just manage time and schedule a little better. Working at home, it's very easy to fall into traps of working too long and taking lots of breaks in between which is okay, but a lot less efficient and takes too much of the day. I now schedule my life weekly, including going out to dinner with the family, going out with friends, and movie nights. The schedule doesn't really eliminate the boredom, but at least it tells you when you're about to be bored lol. :D

siddh

If you have an internet business and you stay at home all day then you must treat it like a job to discipline yourself. True, you will still get bored at times, but the duration will be very small. This can easily be treated with a walk down the block or a visit to the grocery store. A little chit chat with friends is also quite useful in such a case. Taking off for a few minutes every couple of hours might help.

Victor Leigh

I work from home and I play from home. In cyber space, of course. Boredom? What's that? I have not reached the point where I am bored of life in cyber space. I do go out now and then. Kind to like checking whether the sun is still shining.

Victor

I work from home and I play from home. In cyber space, of course. Boredom? What's that? I have not reached the point where I am bored of life in cyber space. I do go out now and then. Kind to like checking whether the sun is still shining.
Haha, yes there are days when the kids and I don't get outside at all. Then my wife comes home and we go out to greet her and I think "What IS that yellow thing in the sky?" :p

Victor Leigh

Haha, yes there are days when the kids and I don't get outside at all. Then my wife comes home and we go out to greet her and I think "What IS that yellow thing in the sky?" :p
I hope she finds that funny. Maybe one of these days, she will beat you to it and ask "What's that big, round thing hovering over the house?"

Babar

I rarely get bored working at home since I'm naturally good at entertaining myself and keeping busy. I credit growing up as an only child and having an active imagination for this.

BigDaddy

I have joined some social groups so at least I have somewhere to go. One is a motorcycle club so once a month we go on an organized ride and another is a hobby group fo weekly there is a meeting.

Hedonologist

The thing with working at home is that it gives you the flexibility to leave the house and go wherever you want at anytime. I do get bored from time to time, but not very often. I think the reduction in pay is worth the transition to a less stressful and flexible environment.