Summer job consuming their lives?

Kyp

I work an 8-4 job Monday-Friday. My oldest child got her first summer job, and now I feel like I never see her. She works at an amusement park. So, she will start around 1 or 2 each day, and wont be home until 930 or 10 at night. By the time she gets home, I am getting ready to go to bed for the next day! I have the weekends off, but there is no telling whether she will have the weekend off or not.

Does anyone else feel the same way? That they don't see their children due to a job scheduling conflict?

Victor Leigh

I have experience that before but it was not a problem as far as I was concerned. I was glad that my children were doing something useful with their time. The alternative would be to come home and see them slouched on the couch in front of the tv, where they have been ever since they woke up.

JCJ

I have experience that before but it was not a problem as far as I was concerned. I was glad that my children were doing something useful with their time. The alternative would be to come home and see them slouched on the couch in front of the tv, where they have been ever since they woke up.
This. I started working when I was 15 so I could pay for the car, insurance, gas, and food that I needed to live (while still living at home.) Between school and work, I never really saw my family. It wasn't really a huge problem for me and I think it better prepared me for the stresses of "real life" that happen as we all grow up.

Lorenzo

My oldest daughter who is 15, is planning to take a summer job in a local fast food. Her mom and I didn't give her the go-signal yet, as we are apprehensive about her spending more time outside of the home. When she was in school, she usually comes home minutes before we start dinner, how much more if she takes on a summer job? For sure, we would experience the dilemma you are now in, Kyp, and I don't think we like that at all.

Victor Leigh

This. I started working when I was 15 so I could pay for the car, insurance, gas, and food that I needed to live (while still living at home.) Between school and work, I never really saw my family. It wasn't really a huge problem for me and I think it better prepared me for the stresses of "real life" that happen as we all grow up.
Good for you. Actually, although you don't see your family that much because of the work and school schedules, since you are still living with at home, you are still very much a part of the family unit.

JoshTheBoss

This is a very common thing. Please, however, unlike my parents, don't force her to quit or cutback hours.

#1 It would discourage her from working, which is not what you want, unless you want her living there forever. It's a great time to work on her resume for the future.

#2 She will go back to school soon, and things will return to normal

FrankSinatra

It is only going to better prepare her and make her more self-aware of the little time she has to get things done. As an adult, you know this dilemma all too well. It is for a few months then she will be back to school and running a more normal routine. Giving her this extra responsibility without having you around and checking in all the time is a good thing for her.