Supreme Court & Health care

Bear

Do you think that the Supreme court will strike down all or parts of the Obama health care law as "unconstitutional"? From the news stories I have followed it sounds as though at the very least the individual mandate will be removed from the bill.

Timothy

I don't watch the news - shame on me, I know - so I'm not up to speed on the healthcare debate. In a nutshell, what is allegedly making Obama's health care law "unconstitutional"?

Bear

Being forced to purchase a product by the government is unconstitutional. There are some other things that are unconstitutional too, but the individual mandate part is what got it before the Supreme Court.

Jack

From what I understand, because the mandate is in favor of providing a protection to people, that the individual mandate may very well stand. It's all very complicated.

Timothy

Being forced to purchase a product by the government is unconstitutional. There are some other things that are unconstitutional too, but the individual mandate part is what got it before the Supreme Court.
So are you saying that if this bill passes, all Americans will be forced to purchase health care? Or rather, if it's not struck down? Like I said, I'm not up to speed on the details of the bill.

Bear

Yes, if the Supreme Court does not strike down the bill as unconstitutional all Americans will either have to purchase insurance or pay a fine. I read a story the other day though that said 70% of Fortune 500 companies are planning to stop offering healthcare to employees. They will just pay the penalty imposed on them because that will be less expensive than providing insurance for employees.

Andersson

The government should not control ones life, what happened to freewill and freedom? These seem to be leaving our country as quick as the illegals are sneaking in. I worry for this country more and more with each passing day.

Timothy

Yes, if the Supreme Court does not strike down the bill as unconstitutional all Americans will either have to purchase insurance or pay a fine. I read a story the other day though that said 70% of Fortune 500 companies are planning to stop offering healthcare to employees. They will just pay the penalty imposed on them because that will be less expensive than providing insurance for employees.
Wow.

So, if the Supreme Court doesn't strike down the bill, how much will our mandatory insurance cost us? How much will the fine be if we can't/don't buy the insurance?

Bear

I am not sure that anyone knopws the answer to those questions. I believe there is some kind of formula that will be used and it can only be a certain percentage of your income.