Talking and walking

Ifamily

Did your kid talk or walk first? I heard that a kid who starts talking early would usually start walking late, and vice versa. Does it apply to your kids?

Victor

My child began talking first (she didn't walk until 14 months) but she only said a few words that were intelligible. She's 2.5 years now and does both proficiently. ;)

uhoh

My son definitely talked first, but I think most kids do say at least a few words before they're capable of walking. He was saying mama at 5 months old! He didn't walk on his own until just over a year old.

Ifamily

Interesting, because the other thing I have heard is that a boy will walk first while a girl will talk first. It applied to both the boy and the girl in the house.

Enrique

Interesting, because the other thing I have heard is that a boy will walk first while a girl will talk first. It applied to both the boy and the girl in the house.
I don't know if that is scientifically proven, but my two girls actually talked first before learning to walk, while my only son was the other way around. My daughters could clearly speak words and sentences before they turned two, whereas my son at that age was still struggling to pronounce certain words and phrases.

Bear

Both of my kids walked before they really did any talking. Both of them did say some words, but they didn't really start talking (and my 1 year old still hasn't really started) until after they were walking pretty well.

Betterman

My son is 11 months and he is walking first. He hasn't really tried to say much. We think he might have said hi the other day.

Sinbian

I started talking and walking almost simultaneously, and early too. But as my parents say, you couldn't understand me at all. It is important that I started talking something. :)

Ifamily

I started to walk first myself. My mother said that I started to walk at 11 months. I was very interesting in learning to walk, but when it comes to talking I didn't rush.

HappyDad

The pediatrician who has seen all of my sons says we have weird kids. :D Our kids started walking first. They were between 10.5 months of age. Our doctor says normal is between 12-14 months.

Victor

That's pretty early, HappyDad! I'm ok with a later walker because they don't learn to run away from you as soon. It makes things a little easier. ;)

Squeesh

I think either or is perfectly fine. I don't think just because you start one first the other will be late. Everyone is different so just don't worry to much :)

JRDeep

daughter walked first. My son talked first, and has yet to stop even when politely requested. lol just me when I was a kid.

Miller

One of my children was a little slow to start talking, but once she started, we couldn't get her to be quiet. Another was a bit slow to start walking, but now he's the most active kid I have. He never stops moving. My brother has a child who never stops moving and never stops talking. I'm the lucky one, I guess.

AceOfHype

My child started to talk before he started walking. Although there was about a week gap between those 2 milestones were made.

His first words were "Car" nothing special, oh well.

Geonarlie

All of my kids starting talking first. I guess its because I would talk to them all the time and they just picked it up really quick. Walking came shortly after though. In my experience talking come first.

themdno

My son started walking first, but he started talking not too long after. It's interesting that girls will start talking sooner. I'd never heard that before, but now that I think about it, it does seem about right.

Victor Leigh

This is something that happened a long time ago. However, I vaguely remember all my children talking before walking. I don't mean talking in full sentences, but certainly talking with meaningful words and phrases.

flfsurveyor

It varies from kid to kid even in the same family. We have 4 - two girls and two boys. We really did not pay much attention as to what they were able to do first. One thing for sure, sometimes, we wished they did not start talking or walking - just could not stop them one they got going.

Niceness8000

Walking came first with my son. He was walking for awhile before he made what sounded like syllables. I haven't met anybody who has told me the reverse with their kids - not saying that it can't happen that way. My son has been walking for months, but he's just now starting to understand that he can communicate with words instead of crying. It's super cool to see though!!!