Taxes and divorce

BoyOBoy

It's going to be time to round up all those tax papers in no time. Over the years I've lost lots of deductions I could have taken because of my ex-wife. I'm the stupid one, though. I should have put my foot down long ago.

Milt

What kind of deductions are you referring to that you could have taken? I am sure many here would be interested to know and could learn from your experience.

wilson

The only thing that we had to deal with from my first marriage was the off and on again claiming of our child, twice my ex has attempted to claim during the years which were assigned to me. And then she had the nerve to get mad about it like its my fault.

JenVarsity

My fiance has lost out on many deductions as well. Specifically the past seventeen years of claiming a dependant...and of course many more.

Divorce/Seperation causes a lot of trouble financially, especially when one person gives in when they are in the right.

polamalu43

You need to get it in writing as to what you can claim and what she can claim. You cannot claim child support payments. You may be able to claim part of the child tax credit though. I would be checking to see what I could claim if I was in your shoes.

collin

It's going to be time to round up all those tax papers in no time. Over the years I've lost lots of deductions I could have taken because of my ex-wife. I'm the stupid one, though. I should have put my foot down long ago.
You know what, sometimes as a man you just buck up and take one for the team. And whilst you may not be a "team" any more, you are still the man and as such, it is this man's opinion, hat men should just be the man and let the woman have the easy way out. A man can and should be able to rise to any occassion and do whatever he needs to do to take care of business. I have been there, I took my own advice, and i garnered more respect from people, even my ex, whether she likes me or not anymore. Just do the respectable thing and let her take the tax exemptions. It'll be over in a handful of years, and you will be the bigger person for doing so. Whatever you do, think of the best interests of any kids you have first and foremost... THEY are what is most important, not a few bucks, which you can make more of.

Kina

I never get to claim my kids. My ex claims two then pawns her third off on who ever she is dating or someone else for cash.

Really pisses me off.