Tear Gas / Pepper Spray for Self-Defense?

sid

I see in another thread of this forum (about bullies) a suggestion for kids to use tear gas for self-defense. I used to carry one in college with a just-in-case attitude. I didn't get to actually use one though.

Indeed, there are pepper sprays that are packaged in small canisters. They can be carried like key chains. You can google it.

Incidentally, it appears that there are prohibitions against tear gas in some states, namely Arkansas, Massahussets, Michigan and New York.

How is it in your State? Would you tell your kids to bring it as a last resort? What alternatives are there that you know?

Seven

There is no way I would let my daughter carry something like that. We live in a small, rural town, and if something like bullying does happen, we have other ways of dealing with it. Like both parents talking through the situation like adults.

Ken

I wouldn't let my child carry one to school. I know my wife has one on her key chain, but she works in a bad city so I feel she needs it. I agree with Seven that kids need to learn to talk through situations, but in life it isn't that easy when someone is trying to take your car or purse. Kids no, but adults should have the right to carry it.

lamant

Honestly I thought that only cops used tear gas anymore and that was only for extreme situations that required it (like massive riots). It seems like something I could not manage to let my kids carry, if anything they are just as clumsy as I am which would lead to setting it off when not needed and possible harm to themselves or others. I don't like that weighing on my conscience.

Salazar

I can't imagine a school to allow a kid to carry mace, or whatever. That's as good as a weapon and kids shouldn't and aren't allowed to be armed with stuff like that.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My wife carries hers. I bought her two, one for the house, and one to carry.

Do not leave them in the car. The heat can cause them to explode.

I also have a small one for when I bike ride due to dogs, and in my backpack when I go hiking.

DriverDan

An adult carrying one is one thing, but I wouldn't give it to a kid. First, I believe it is illegal in my state. Second, I'm sure it would be grounds for expulsion from school if it were discovered, as technically it's a weapon. And third, can you imagine if it was accidentally discharged or another kid got a hold of it and just wondered what it would do? Don't even want to think about it.

HWard84

Never would I let a child carry this, it's too dangerous. Even if the child had training (safety and how to use it) it's still too dangerous. Bullies need to be dealt with in other ways, not by tear gassing them.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking to a friend the other day. He said bug spray is better. He said a good wasp spray is more effective and has better accuracy then the average pepper spray. He also said some people have sprayed themselves enough that pepper spray does not effect them, especially military or police who have a stronger version.

Dave07

You could not carry this on school property even as an adult in any state it violates the zero tolerance policy. I am all for personal defense and I am a CCW(concealed carry weapon) holder myself but you just can't give kids of any age pepper spray.