Texting!

Pops

Not sure if anyone else's children are even old enough to have a phone on here, but both of my daughters (teens) have cell phones. I swear, they are constantly texting away. You'd think they would give it a rest sometime, but they never do!

My oldest daughter jokes around and tells me that it is her "finger exercise" for the day. How much texting is too much?!

danno

My nine year old son has one but I have made sure that it's a basic phone so no one will think it worth stealing and he mostly uses it for texting his friends so it doesn't cost much on PAYG.

McGregor

To be honest, I also text more than talk on my cell phone, and the cost is not the only reason. I am more comfortable to communicate by writing than speaking.

Pawpaw

It is hard to say how much is to much but in my opinion I would say when it keeps them from getting the things they have to do done then it is entirely to much. My granddaughter will be up entirely to late sometimes texting and then wants to miss school. That is to much and she will get grounded from her phone.

Millman

We have imposed some rules and limits. One of my big things is when they were bringing their phones to the dinner table and texting. It drove me crazy. Now the phones are not allowed anywhere near the table or they lose it completely.

SeaUrchin

Oh my yes. If my two oldest could, they would text all night. I take the cell phones away at bedtime and they get them back in the mornings. I've actually caught my oldest at 1 A.M. on a school night texting, that's the reason I take them at night.

RayRay

Both of my kids text a lot too. My son gets text updated from ESPN, and to update him on Sports pretty regularly. We have rules as far as the phones go. They are not allowed to be out or in use while at the dinner table and while in church as well.

bighelp

Not yet no but I have many family members with older kids that I see playing on Facebook during school hours and stuff like that. It almost makes me wonder what the parent is thinking giving them a phone with net access!

NewDad

I think texting becomes too much when it's interfering with their school and with their life. If you're sitting at dinner and your teen is texting up a storm and is basically sitting at the table without really being there, then that's a great place to start drawing the line.

Maxsdad

You have to decide for yourself how much is too much. You need to set limits and set hours too. My daughter texts too but her phone is shut off at 8pm on weekdays. She does not need to be texting after that. You also have to make sure that they are not going over the number of minutes you have (unless it's an unlimited plan).