The difficulties of parenting daughters.

micromachne

Hello everyone,

I'm basically a father of a 1 year old daughter. Yeah, I know I don't have any real things to worry about yet. But of course I know that won't be the case in a few years.

So, any tips you can give a first time father?

josephconrad

Daughters are really a pain but the worst part about raising a daughter is having to meet the boyfriends when they are in their teens and 20s. They have the capacity to bring in some real losers and you feel disappointed that they don't have better judgement than that. Also, when they hit middle school they often want to start dressing for school in a way that you might consider provocative.

flfsurveyor

Daughters are very loving compared to sons. I had the pleasure of raising 2. Now, I also have 2 grand daughters. Micro . you have a loooong way to go. Don't worry so much. Just enjoy these toddler days when your child still hero-worships you. At this stage, they are actually no different from sons ( i also have 2 of those).

Victor Leigh

I think you will have a great time with your daughter. Just treat her like your child. Doesn't matter that she is a girl. Girls are only a little bit different. The problem only comes in when we exaggerate the differences.

Don

Daughters are usually not a real challenge until they hit about the 7th or 8th grade. My daughter developed an attitude around that time and just about drove us crazy. Thankfully, we now have a little "leverage" since she is wanting to get her Learner's Permit. She knows if she doesn't keep her grades up or gets grounded, she will have to wait until next year.

Ravenfan

Enjoy every moment that you spend with your child. When it seems that work and other commitments are driving you crazy, you will have the love of that child to look towards. Being able to help another person develop and shape their thoughts and future life is one of the biggest responsibilities and thrills someone can experience.

joeldgreat

If you think you had difficulty with your 1 year old daughter, just wait till she's a teenager. Personally, I think girls are more harder to raise than boys. That is if I'm speaking through the monetary expenses and personal grooming. I can let my boys running around with only their undies on. But, I can't do tit with my girl. Of course, in terms of behavior, boys do the worst.

Lorenzo

I have three girls, and yes, it is quite challenging to raise them. They have more "wants" and "needs" than boys (I also have two boys). They can also be more demanding. I have a great relationship with my daughters, though. Girls can be very sweet and thoughtful (maybe because they are more emotional than boys).

My advice is: enjoy your daughter and your times with her. It's okay to give her what she needs and wants (some of the time), just don't spoil her rotten. :)

Victor Leigh

If you think you had difficulty with your 1 year old daughter, just wait till she's a teenager. Personally, I think girls are more harder to raise than boys. That is if I'm speaking through the monetary expenses and personal grooming. I can let my boys running around with only their undies on. But, I can't do tit with my girl. Of course, in terms of behavior, boys do the worst.
Hey, daughters are not really that bad. Sure, they need more clothes but they make up for it by helping out more with the household chores.

Michael

Spend as much time with her as you can. Designate time as "daughter-and-daddy day." My daughter knows I pick her up from school on Fridays, and we have our special day. It's been more rewarding than you can imagine.

themdno

I don't think they are too much different until they hit that teenager stage. By then, you should just run for the hills.

taskeinc

Raising a Daughter

I like to think I have had a advantage over most fathers who have raised daughters. That advantage is, I raised my daughter (she's 16 now) from 3 years of age, until the present, as a single father. I also have a son who is 17. I've never compared the two, as far as grades or attitude, and never will. The advantage is that I've not had to have a second opinion in regards to how I raise my son and daughter.

As a father you have to be open to the possibility that your daughter will teach you a good deal about women. When my daughter was about 5 years old I used to fuss over her getting ready for school on time. I would go on how she would make me late to work, etc. etc. She never paid much attention to me and somehow, every day, I made it to work on time. My son would be ready, but my daughter would sort of have it in cruise control. Guess what, I just made sure that I got them up on time, that I got myself up on time and I basically left her alone. Her lesson to me, "I'll get ready, and you won't be late to work, but your nagging will not help."

If you're raising a daughter with your wife, her mom, as most guys are, the key for you is to be the type of dad, the type of man that you want your daughter to hook up with one day. That is the key. You cannot and should not attempt to control her life with religion, with being an over-anxious, obnoxious dad because if you do, she will eventually push back. And that guy that you despise, that you so hope she doesn't hook up with, more than likely she will.

If you don't want her involved with a whore-monger, an alcoholic, a drug addict (prescription or otherwise), an abuser or manipulator, you cannot be any of those things yourself. You cannot possess any of those characteristics.

Don't try to be a perfect dad, don't try to act as if you make no mistakes. When you make a mistake, own up to it, apologize to her if it is necessary. If you do those things consistently, you'll be fine, your daughter will be fine, and more than likely, when she gets older, she will make the right decisions. Most importantly, allow her to speak her mind, allow her to make suggestions. Listen to her and never underestimate her intellect.

Jatelo2

I agree with you that it wont be business as usual in years to come. The best way to avoid 'serious misunderstandings' you will need to inculcate good communication between you.

tommymac

I think that the rule of thumb is that daughters are easier to raise when they're younger and sons are easier to raise when they're older.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to set a good example for your daughter. You are the male role model and, as such, she will look to you for what to expect in other men. So, be the kind of man you'd want your daughter to marry.

FrankSinatra

The biggest worry with daughters is that you screw them up somehow and they end up stripping...don't get me wrong I love strippers and I support their whore lifestyle but I don't want my kid shaking her ass for a bunch of creepy dudes.

Hedonologist

Daughters just take a little investment. So easily daughters are not disciplined even in the slightest. parents make tell them off for bad behavior, but if they are not taught the ways of the world, they can very easily be lead down a bad path.

Boys usually sort themselves out, but so often daughters are just let to run wild, and what do you expect to happen in todays world?

Niceness8000

Girls I think operate more on emotions than on logic. That's why men often times don't understand female decision-making. Right now I have a son who is about a year and a half old. We are trying to have one more child. I know that whether we have a girl or another boy, I will cherish my kids. But it's those teen years I'm already afraid of, and we don't even have the girl yet.

mollew3

Daughters are really a pain but the worst part about raising a daughter is having to meet the boyfriends when they are in their teens and 20s. They have the capacity to bring in some real losers and you feel disappointed that they don't have better judgement than that. Also, when they hit middle school they often want to start dressing for school in a way that you might consider provocative.
I agree with everything here. My daughter came home with a guy that was just incredibly below her level. Im trying to still understand what she saw in that loser.

Victor Leigh

I agree with everything here. My daughter came home with a guy that was just incredibly below her level. Im trying to still understand what she saw in that loser.
Sad that it happened like this. Maybe you should be asking yourself what you have been teaching your daughter all this while. Little girls do not really turn into grown-up girls overnight.

JRDeep

Daughters are easy compared to raising sons. You don't have to worry about them getting into as much trouble or anything. Don't over think it. Love her, look out for her, she'll love you back and appreciate it down the road.