The importance of money

footballtim

When I was young, people always asked me if I was interested in having children.

My answer was always the same. "Not unless I can provide for a child the way my parents provided for me."

I know that there are more important things in life than money, but I did not want my child to grow up in a struggling family, and that is what I would have had because of the vocational errors I made when I was young.

My brother made great vocational choices, and he had four children. I am sure he was thinking the same way I was as a child. He just made the right choices and I made the wrong ones.

chea

Well, I think it's important for a child to have a stable home. Which means at least one of the parents needs to have a steady source of income. But I think the amount of attention you give to your child always trumps the amount of money of material possessions he/she has growing up.

footballtim

It is true, the amount of attention a parent gives the child is crucial. But if I had a child, I would not have been able to give them sufficient attention, because I would have always been busy working to make up for my low wages.

We probably would have had to live in a really bad place, and eat really cheap unhealthy food, which is what I did not want to subject a child to. That is why I chose not to have children.

youngone

I do think you can be a good parent and raise your children well with a limited income. However, I do think you need to be relatively financially secure to raise a child, but how many people can say they are financially secure nowadays?

Andersson

I am not sure anyone really has enough of everything for a child but there is a big difference between being spoon fed everything in life and learning to work a little for it. My kids did the later and they grew up just fine.

Don

We always say that if we had kept waiting until we had "enough" money, we never would have had kids. I think it is important to be able to provide them with a stable environment, but money or the lack thereof, shouldn't make it or break it when it comes to having children.