The Low Bar of Being a Dad

Victor

I read a very interesting article this morning about the low expectations of fathers compared to mothers. I think he had a point. I get praised quite a bit more than my wife does for doing the same things. What are your thoughts?

Justadad

That's very strange. In my parents' day, men went out to work and women stayed at home and looked after the children, so it was rare to see fathers taking their children out for the day, but in this modern world, mothers work as well, so I don't think it is unusual any more to see dads doing what was happening here.

Timothy

Victor - That was a great read; thanks for sharing. I've actually been in a similar situation myself. I take my son to the park once a week on Saturdays or Sundays and sometimes my wife stays home for a bit of "time off". I can't tell you how many times I've been approached by women who were almost slack-jaw about my "great parenting skills", like taking your kid to the park is something special!

Bearsfan

I think even today, it's the general thinking that women still do most of the day to day child rearing. I know father's do take more of an active role, but it seems to surprise quite a few people when they see it.

Zimmer

My wife comes from a very old fashioned home, even after almost 20 years of marriage she's pleasantly surprised when I help with the chores around the house.
It's hard to unlearn something which was impressed upon you at a very early age.

Jack

The roles in our family situation don't follow the traditional pattern. In fact, our roles are reversed as far a traditional roles go. It's pretty liberating, really.