The Pope is retiring?

Bearsfan

OK, let me start with saying, I'm Catholic. I went to Catholic school and everything. I had no idea that retiring from being the Pope was even an option. Is anyone else surprised that the Pope is stepping down?

Jack

From what I understand, if the Pope is ill and feels he cannot properly execute the duties of his office, he can retire. I saw a few months back that he was dealing with some sort of illness. Considering how John Paul II dealt with his illness, I am surprised that this pope is handling it differently.

Lorenzo

What a shocker, right? After 600 years! I'm worried about how the Pope's resignation would affect the Church and her "flock." I do hope that the new pope would be a good leader and would be effective in addressing old-age church issues.

Justadad

I have seen this in the news, and I am aware that the last pope to step down was in the 15th century, but I confess that I'm a little surprised at all the fuss. If the man feels that he can no longer do the job, then he should be allowed to quietly retire, as in any other job. I'm not a Catholic, as you can probably tell.

Victor

I was surprised to hear of his resignation announcement as well. I agree that a pope in poor health should be able to retire, but it's just so rare that it shocks people.

Andersson

The other day I read something about it but not enough to realize it wasn't a hoax. At first I thought it had to be since we never really heard of a Pope who retires but I guess it is better than feeling like he is neglecting his duties so I kind of understand it.

Last edited:

Salazar

I'm not Catholic, but my wife is and she isn't too happy about this. I think it's because she doesn't like to see change at the Vatican and she's worried this will set a new precedent for all future popes to retire when they are ill.

John

It's difficult to see everything you've come to depend upon prove that you can't really depend on those things either. Who would have thought it? I wonder what's next. We all take our country for granted, too. Is it on one of the lists in the not too distant future?

BigPapa

I think it is such a shock because in general Popes are all elderly and ill. They never retire. I think that we have all come to think of it as a lifetime appointment.

Don

I was wondering what you thought of the new pope. I happened to catch it on the radio right when they announced who it was going to be. It sounds like he might bring about a lot of changes.

Bearsfan

I actually haven't read up too much on him, yet, but from what I have heard, I think he's going not going to change anything major. I did like the fact that he has been said to be more of a people person. I'll have to research it a bit more.