Too much homework?

Ifamily

I kind of think that today's kids get too much homework from school. My kids usually come home with a massive amount of homework, and they almost always end up doing it till late at night.

polamalu43

What grade are your kids in? My kids had a lot more homework in grades 6-8. They now have a study hall during the school day. They get a lot of their homework done there. I do agree that kids get too much homework.

Michael

I wish they didn't have so much homework either, but at least my daughter's teachers have given her interesting projects to do. They also make them for a week at a time so we can work them in over the week. I wish they assigned more books.

Christian

I do think kids get too much homework. My kids are too young for school, but we have friends with 1st and 2nd graders that have 1-2 hours of homework a night! When are kids supposed to play and be kids? On the weekends? We have cut recess from schools, and now we pile on so much homework that they can't play at home either!

Lorenzo

I kind of think that today's kids get too much homework from school. My kids usually come home with a massive amount of homework, and they almost always end up doing it till late at night.
Ditto! Four of my five kids are in school and they bring so much school work that they don't even have time to go outside and play anymore. Even on some weekends, they hold "regular" classes to catch up on their lessons. I don't remember having to do so many home work when I was in school.

Bobby

The education system is under tremendous pressure to produce top students. And every parent wants their kids to be the best. Something has to pay the price and unfortunately until things change, the kids pay. If we relaxed our expectations, maybe the homework issue would disappear. But I can't see that happening anytime soon.

wilson

I have seen too much and too little. One school that my sisters kids went to almost never had homework and I do not get it, how are they going to remember all of this stuff trying to cram it into only the school day?

Christian

I have seen too much and too little. One school that my sisters kids went to almost never had homework and I do not get it, how are they going to remember all of this stuff trying to cram it into only the school day?
If you have an effective teacher (particularly for young kids) the school day, and a quick review by the parents in the evenings should be more than enough. No children below middle school level should have more than a half an hour of homework. That's what teachers are taught at school...

Victor

I worry about this issue arising when my children become school-age. I don't really want to homeschool, but if the homework load is too heavy, I will consider it. Family time is important too, and too much homework cuts into that.

joeldgreat

Three years ago, my kids teachers usually had homework for them during week end. I fell that my kids were already too much saturated at school that even on their rest days, they still had homework to do. Together with other parents, we had talk to the school administration to change their policy about homework. The next year, I rarely had encountered teachers giving weekend homework to them.

collin

I think you will find both ends of the spectrum. Too much and too little homewoark. From one standpoint, the world is becoming so competitive, in order to keep up with countries that have ALL YEAR school, we need to do something in order to have our children educated enough to keep us in the game as they progress to being the "bread winners' of society in later years.

It's a tough road no matter how you look at it, and both of my boys, one now out of school for years... have seen this issue. Kids do need time to be kids, but we also need to stay on top of things.

Which way do we want it? I guess we just have to stay involved and let our teacher associations know when it is becoming too much, after all, we all want the best students (mine proudly is a top Honor Roll student) and that takes hard work even from the parents. We as parents have to devote time towards correcting and looking over homewoark too, and after a 10-12 hour day...that can get to be grueling.

So in closing, I think we all need to stay in close contact with educators to let them know when it is becoming too stressful. Communication and participation is key. if you don't get involved, you have no say. I say get and keep involved in your child's education from K-12 and beyond.

Lieutenant

I agree. Kids now days get so much piled on; then you add in sports and any extra curricular activities and there is no time to be a kid anymore.

Victor Leigh

It has been many years since I last saw my children doing homework. Yes, I do think that the teachers should get organized and make sure that the children are not over-burdened. As it is, it seems that every teacher thinks that they are the only ones giving homework.

Enrique

It has been many years since I last saw my children doing homework. Yes, I do think that the teachers should get organized and make sure that the children are not over-burdened. As it is, it seems that every teacher thinks that they are the only ones giving homework.
Ain't that the truth! Come to think of it, teachers in general tend to compete with other subject teachers when it comes to giving homework and school projects. But then again, that's why there is a Subject Coordinator in the first place, right? So that there's someone who controls whatever the subject teacher is teaching and assigning (or not) to the students.

BigPapa

To be honest, as a former substitute, I can say without fail that most of the assignments that are given (from kindergarten to seniors) are given with plenty of class time to complete. I found that most kids would slack off during the class time and take the stuff home instead.

Betterman

The packets are what irritate me. Aren't the packets with 10 pages supposed to be done in school? When do kids get time to just be kids?

AvalonX

I do think kids get too much homework. My kids are too young for school, but we have friends with 1st and 2nd graders that have 1-2 hours of homework a night! When are kids supposed to play and be kids? On the weekends? We have cut recess from schools, and now we pile on so much homework that they can't play at home either!
This is the biggest shift in the newer generation of kids. Its no wonder kids game all the time, when are they supposed to go out exactly? My son just finished 1st grade and he had daily homework with additional reading and writing daily on top of it. Where its really a pain are the nights you have obligations. You almost need to have them do something organized now, kids don't exactly play ball in the streets. It's all organized now.

Victor Leigh

Ain't that the truth! Come to think of it, teachers in general tend to compete with other subject teachers when it comes to giving homework and school projects. But then again, that's why there is a Subject Coordinator in the first place, right? So that there's someone who controls whatever the subject teacher is teaching and assigning (or not) to the students.
Subject Coordinator? That's something new. We never had that when my kids were in school. If that is the case, then the parents should hold a meeting and appoint a small committee to sit down with this Subject Coordinator to work things out. We cannot just expect him to know how to do his job properly. After all it's our own children who are going to be affected.

meowcow

I agree. There could be no better solution than to keep communication open, because we will always be changing where the line between too much and too little depending on the times we're living in. Right now, since there is a lot more other things that we can be doing with our kids that can be educational and beneficial as well, I think schools can let up a bit. I personally prefer kids to not bring home homework as much, so they can have more time for extra curricular activities that are just as important in my book.